Honey stove group buy soon??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How much discount do you think you can get on a group buy? Bob is selling these anyway so why should he as a small supplier give discount? A lot of group buys mean only saving a couple of quid so is it worth the hassle?

Stick to group buys on kit that you can't get easily in the UK IMHO

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...why should he as a small supplier give discount?

To get the business?

A lot of group buys mean only saving a couple of quid so is it worth the hassle?

That depends on your point of view. Your point of view seems to be biased towards the trader. Speaking as a trader I'd have to say that I don't need people to express my views for me, I can do it for myself. A lot of businesses (mine included) operate in the face of some very stiff competition. For over 25 years in the office supplies business I've been competing with likes of Viking, Staples and lately even Tesco. Practically every deal that I do is negotiated. That's what business life is like I'm afraid and if it weren't, you'd probably be among the first to say that the market was rigged.

If you check my recent posts on the forum you'll see that I'm not unfamiliar with group buys and I know that they can give people hassle -- especially the poor suckers who manage them. That's partly down to the fact that only about half the people who join a group buy appear to read what the organizer writes, and partly because people are, well, prone to events. If at the beginning they just did as they were asked, and at the end just did what they'd agreed to do, everything could run very smoothly and the biggest issue then (apart from the limitations of the forum software, which I'll leave for another time) would probably just be the availability of supplies.

But I really don't see that there's a problem with group buys as far as the trader is concerned. He can get more turnover in one transaction for less work. I'd LOVE it if my customers would think about what they want each month, write it all down, and then send me a list of their requirements with product codes, quantities, delivery addresses and dates.

Instead, they call one of my staff and spend half an hour on the telephone explaining that they don't know what they want because they haven't even looked in the catalogue that I bought for them, then they ask for quotes for three completely unrelated alternatives, and then they go away and buy something completely different from a competitor.

If anyone would like to organize a group buy for office furniture ... oh, sorry Tony, scratch that. :)

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Sorry to put this, but I already did a hive group buy already this year and I think bob might not want to do another one so soon.

Hi ged , i guess you won't want to be in any of my group buys

Last edited:

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
You are all right one way or another BUT i am sure BOB would be happy with 25 orders compared to 1 even if he dropped £1 off every stove.Saying that though DO NOT let that stop anyone from grabbing the NEW honey stove for the already price of under £40.00 it is cracking ,he has done the research and is becoming the leader on the wood/all fuel stoves.SO i say lets get an massive order for the NEW HONEY STOVE from Bob at his normal price which is good and keep a small company with little profits in order producing the goodies in this country,and just think when you light it for the first time you will know it is going to last .

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
yeh ur rite it's a brilliant wee stove , but i would like ti a hold of the The Hive (Expansion kit) , i missed the last group buy ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE