Homestead air fresheners - for men!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Saddle Soap! or whatever leather balm, beeswax-and-oil mix and what-have-you that you use (no-where near enough excuses to use them in my house right now)
Wood shavings
That smell you get just after rain (there's a fancy name for it and all!)
This makes me think I need to organize/tidy my room so I can do something productive in it :eek:

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
thinking about saddlesoap ... could it be used to waterproof non-leather items does anyone think? (don't think too much about that sentence structure) I know wax and oil can be used, but is saddlesoap different enough that it would(n't) work?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Saddle soap on it's own won't waterproof leather, it's a cleaner that won't destroy waterproof qualities that the leather already has. Usually used on horse harness and saddlery in conjunction with some sort of leather balm or sometimes a polish afterwards.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saddle soap (which I make) does contain soap, beeswax and neetsfoot oil. The soap cleans, the beeswax waterproofs and the neetsfoot softens. Neetsfoot serves no purpose on, for example, canvas. So if you wish to waterproof canvas, make something designed for that job - Greenland wax for example (a blend of beeswax and paraffin wax)

Beansprout

Tenderfoot
In my student digs there was always spray air freshener in the Loo. Eventually, whenever you smelt that air freshener out of context (say in the lounge) it always smelt of poop. Bleh.

I love candles, and incense. "Hippy" smell according to my housemates! But I do love filling my room with the musky scent of white musk. I've got a box full of flavours :D

Lit matches, the smell of the log burner when it's been on. I do find a little dog smell to be comforting ^^

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
*snip* So if you wish to waterproof canvas, make something designed for that job - Greenland wax for example (a blend of beeswax and paraffin wax)

Yeah, I figured it's be something like that. I've got a linssed oil, turps and beeswax mix and a bar of 50/50 parrafin and beeswax. When I get 'round to it I'll use them then. Thanks for the info!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No probs :)

Was so pleased with the sweet and sour recipe that I made a gallon and a half today and then canned it. Great smell - and a good portion for tea too :)

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Not in the house but that soap shop LUSH does it for me. I can't go near them without feeling ill. I have to rush past the one in the Cheltenham High Street as the smell spreads along the street!

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Not in the house but that soap shop LUSH does it for me. I can't go near them without feeling ill. I have to rush past the one in the Cheltenham High Street as the smell spreads along the street!

oh yeah, there's a clothing shop called Stradivarius that seems to think pumping the place full of cheap perfume is the way to get sales...I've been in there with my sisters and mum... I had to frequently nip out for fresh air :yuck:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
You can keep all those plug-in, light up or spray stink bombs. Here's what I like:

Paint and turps reminds me of my dad coming home from work.

Any wood fire reminds me of faggots burning in the hop fields at the end of the season. And reminds me that Chestnuts aren't far away....mmm Chestnuts.

Freesia flowers now if you know the scent of freesias you'll know how gorgeous that scent is. My grandad used to grow and crossbreed them so it brings back memories of helping him in his little greenhouse.

My wifes home made bread, she know if she bakes that she can get me to agree to anything

Pine tar soap, love that stuff.

Apple and cinnamon....Christmas smell

Tar, love that smell

Stinks I hate.

Bleach, any amount of bleach will give me a migraine and make me hurl.

"Plastic" vanilla, you know the gut rot that come in candles.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres a weird one. Cana smell have a texture?

I think tomatoes growing in a greenhouse smell furry. Does that make any sense?

Had to make another twelve pints of sweet and sour today... So, according to this thread, I must use three gallons a year :)

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I think you're talking about something called synesthesia - where something has another sense experience associated with it for someone other than the most obvious. For example some people 'smell' colours, for some people days of the week have a 'colour'. Lots of people have the condition but often don't identify it because they assume everyone else has the same experience - I can tell what a metal is by holding it in my hand (even if my eyes are closed) it has a taste and a colour! My mother in law has it about music - certain sounds have colours, my husband has it about numbers and maths. And so on. Tomatoes smelling furry sounds exactly like a dose of synesthesia - you might have it about other plants eg geraniums or perlagoniums. It's one of the explanations for dowsing, or people who say they can see auras. It's just a neurological oddity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE