homemade saw for harvesting spoon wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
This is a little saw I made. The blade was less than three dollars, but seems to be high quality. Since there wasn't much tang, I carved a little bed for it, and added the security of a pin. I glued the handle together with epoxy. Testing proved it a little workhorse. I cut through multiple five and six inch dry logs with no problem. And it fits handily in my backpack.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
lovely work and a serious inspiration! Never been a big fan of folding saws so really need to give this a go!

My Circular saw is Skil. I inherited it from my father, and can remember it being around when I was 9 or 10 so at least 20 yrs old, probably more, and it's still going strong, so should be a good quality blade.

Hope fully it will last a while!

On a personal pref, I thought it looked nicer before the paint, but that chip carving is truly impressive. Always love your stuff!

atb
Ste

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks, Crosslandkelly, Muddypaws, and Baelfore! Muddypaws, you're right on about that. It's so satisfying I try to have some hand in making all my tools. It's as much a part of crafting as the craft product itself. Baelfore, good to hear about the quality of skil. I've been impressed so far. And I agree about the paint. It's a personal thing and I tried it just because I am surrounded by so much mesquite wood, I wanted something different. I'll make another one without the paint here in the near future. I have some more blades, and even have someone in the tree cutting business sending me some longer expensive blades (lightly used and free). Hope you guys have a go at this. It's worth it! :)

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Great job! This is an idea I've had in the back of my mind for a very long time. This thread jolted that idea back to the present. So many thanks to Forginhill.

As said, it is well worth tinkering with an idea to get what you want, do what you want at a fraction of the cost. Like many, I have used a laplander saw blade to death, but I don't want to pay silly prices for blades. I know they last a while, if you don't use them much, but if you do use them very frequently, then the price of the blades sting a little.

So, today I hacked at some pieces of ash and made a saw too. As you can see, its rough and ready, but it cuts brilliantly. Very sturdy, and when using, there's no need for another bolt at the other end as my grip holds it firmly. The bolt only needs to be hand tight too. Very much like a japanese trimsaw I guess.

I was aiming at something that can be stowed in a sack without damaging kit. So the blade, nut & bolt, washer get stowed between the two pieces of ash. It was only when I assembled it and was in the process of hand tightening, that I noticed it could also be adapted to be like a sort of balisong affair, for very quick deployment. So the saw blade is stored between the two bits of wood, both bolted. There would be a issue with damage to kit from the bolts, but they could be sunk into the wood. Another hole would have to be drilled in the blade too of course.

Hope folks understand what my waffling is getting at. I will be adding two leather socks, one for each end of the saw when folded, to keep it all snug when stowed. I will also trim the handle to a slight curve along the length. The blades were much cheaper, working out at only £3 each. As you can see, they are coarser than the laplander, but will cut faster.
Sorry about the poor images too.

Many thanks to Forginhill again, for the memory jolt. goodjob

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0287.jpg
    DSC_0287.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 23

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
Great idea. Have wanted to make one with a replaceable blade for ages but maybe a fixed blade is better.
Much easier to use when the blade doesn't wobble.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Just to pick your brain, Forginhill, do you think if you sanded down a couple of the teeth to extended the tang with a dremmal tool it would provide a more secure fitting? or would it just mess up the hardness?

have a baby sitter tomorrow and want to give this a go..

atb,
Ste

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Quietone, fascinating design! I really like what you did with that.

Baelfore, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be fine, especially if you have length to play with. Even if things did heat up a bit much, it would be very localized. The blade I used was pretty short already, but I felt confident based on experience that it would be secure (epoxy always exceeds my expectations). I made a little video of the saw in action, which I'll try to post sometime soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE