homemade forge???

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Evening folks,
i'm not sure if anybody remembers a thread a while ago about a homemade forge made from an old gas cylinder and somesort of recycled air blower. i've had a good search here but don't seem to be able to find it. Anybody able to help.
Cheers
Baggins

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
100_0116.jpg

This was the one I mentioned once before, but its foot powered rather than an electrical blower (which I'd like to do)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
that's great, thanks. It's for a dist reli who wants to start forging his own arrow heads (he's really into medieval archery). Does the air come in right at the bottom or is it slightly offset or doesn't it matter?
Thaks again
Baggins

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
On this it comes in at the bottom, through the remains of the valve (the section is the top of the bottle, turned upside down). I had a small metal plate at the bottom with holes in it, laid over the large hole, to help keep ash out of the air pipe. Its fairly thick metal, I plan to line it with some form of clay this year, to retain heat etc. and also try fitting some form of electric air blower as an alternative.

On youtube there are some much improved designs and walkthroughs of construction from other people. Mine has worked ok so far, but I know it can be improved to make life easier.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Evening folks,
i'm not sure if anybody remembers a thread a while ago about a homemade forge made from an old gas cylinder and somesort of recycled air blower. i've had a good search here but don't seem to be able to find it. Anybody able to help.
Cheers
Baggins
here is a neat one, not sure the longgevitiy of it, but looks good and seems to work well

mop bucket forge

this is the one that i thinking you might be thinking of,
home made forge

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi all,

When I was living out in the bush we used to have to make repairs etc so we would make a simple forge from a 44gal drum and old tire rim and an old vacuum cleaner.

Cut the drum to the desired height, fit the rim into the cut drum with the tube of the vacuum cleaner fitted to the side of the rim, (cut a hole and add a connection of suitable material). Take the vacuum cleaner apart and reverse the suck / blow, and you have a simple forge, we used to also add some steel plate to the bottom of the “bowl” so the fuel didn’t fall through the gap, leave the slits / lug holes so the fire will breath better when you don’t have the blower going. Fuel was normally charcoal or some native hardwoods like iron bark or gidgee wood…

Cheers,

Karl

i saw a vid on youtube of a chap making a knife. he made a portable forge by carrying a bit of sheet metal with holes in it, and a blower fan. He used a 12v battery for the blower, dug a hole with a trench, put the blower duct in the trench, put the plate with holes in it over the hole, sealed it with earth and used a hole in the duct with a peg to close it to regulate airflow. Seemed to work a treat!

http://www.youtube.com/v/5ysKd1cswlo&rel=1

I watched this bloke's whole series on knife making, very informative for a layman like myself.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
An old vacuum cleaner does make a good electric blower - with a little "adjusting". But the simplest, and cheapest electric blower I have ever found is a hair dryer/blower! Yup, one of those L or gun type cheapo ones from any large discount store. I picked one up at wally-world for 10 bucks a couple years ago when I was helping a friend set up his forge. An industrial blower would have run about $60 usd - at that time. But for $10 that hair blower/dryer works great. It even has 2 speeds. And it doesn't matter that it's heating up the air a bit, so we never took it apart to diable the heater coil. The outlet was 1 1/2 inches, and fit right onto the end of the pipe we were using for the forge. A little "duct tape" holds them together. We did worry about heat traveling back up that pipe and melting the plastic hair dryer, but so far there have been no problems. The air blowing through has kept the end of the iron pipe cool enough.

We did have to do one thing to "modify" the hair dryer, though. We had to cover over 2/3's to 3/4's of the air intake on the side - too much air going through. I mounted a flat plate on the side of my blower with a sheetmetal screw - that I can swivel more open or closed. But on his we just covered the side with duct tape, and then just added/subtracted some until we got the amount of air going through that we wanted.

That classic L or gun type hair dryer/blower is basically just a fancy version of a squirrelcage blower. You can also find them inside the heater of your vehicle (or at an auto salvage yard). So we chose the $10 option versus the $60 new industrial version. And if it ever does break down, a replacement is a short drive away. It's been running for several years now with no problems.

So don't overly stress out about an electric blower for your forge. A usable one might just be as close as buried in the bottom drawer in your bathroom/bedroom/closet.

Any type of coal will work, but the best is Blacksmith Coal (soft bituminus). But regular heating stoker coal will also work (hard anthracite). But the stoker coal is more messy. It bubbles out more oils and tars as it is cooking down to that coke level where you can forge with it.

Bar-b-que charcoal briquets will work, but can be a mess. They are made from ground up wood charcoal, mixed with clay and glues, and then pressed into those briquets. Those glues and that clay can interfer with the heat, and leave a big mess. And you really do need to bust up those briquets into small pieces if you are going to use them. But LUMP charcoal is available also. This is just charcoal - charred wood - and not ground up. Lots of people are now using it to cook with instead of the briquets. So if you look around, you should be able to find it at a store/market, or ask the manager about ordering some.

Just some humble thoughts to pass along.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE