Homemade Fenna inspired...Gortetex Double DPM Bivi Bag

Well after buying John Fenna's wee book on homemade gear and having bought and practiced (a little:eek: ) on a sewing machine, I thought it was about time I made something more adventurous.

I had a sleeping bag zip going spare and some goretex (around 4.5 meters by around 1.5 meters wide) so decided to have a go at making a double goretex bivi bag. I wanted a huge bivi bag that I could use as a wildife hide as well as a bivibag so that my wife and I could travel light and wake up on a high moor over looking mountains with only dew on us in the morning...old romantic at heart.

Here is the result.
March09052.jpg

I was around a meter short of material for the hood/cowl as I wanted to emulate the uk army style hood but came up with a workable alternative.
March09054.jpg

The hood is a combination of a drawcord and press stud closure. This combination allows the hood to be completley unfolded and layed out flat and the full length side zip can be opened right up to allow easy entry/exit.

I didn't have the space to work with patterns so most of the work was done with a steel ruler, marker pen and an old sewing machine and a good eye. I had to join the fabric on the underside using a "flat felt ?seam", this was an absolute nightmare to do on such a big piece of material. All the other seams were relatively simple and the zip was a breeeze. The stitching is a bit rough as it was quite difficult to find the right tension for the material at times but on the whole was a lot of fun to make.

A good tip for using press studs on goretex. Once you punch your holes and push half the stud through before rivoting it;superglue around the stud and this will stop the goretex from fraying and the studs from pulling through.

My intention was to tape seal the seams but it's a huge hassle to do it properly without the right gear and my seams are not that great so all I'm going to do is use clear bathroom silicon thinned down over the seams and when I get some more waterpoof material in dpm will make a double zip flap for the zip.

Thanks for the advice in the book John F, it was tricky getting my hea dinto patterns and seams but I'd say to anyone "give it a go" as it's a lot of fun.

WS

March09055.jpg

PS... all this for around £20 ;-)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you leave that lying about at a meet some kids going to run back crying to their parents about seeing a Giant's sleeping arrangements:lmao: :lmao:

Nice work there WS

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cracking job WS

A couple of hoops could be easily knocked up in the field too to give you a bit of head room when you`re on your own.

Bargain for £20

Looks really good, WS, makes my attempt at stuff sacks a bit feeble :eek: :D

Have you tried the hose test on it yet ? or are you going to wait till you add the extra flap for the zip.

Stephen

Thanks for the comments guys. Stephen, I reckon I could use it straight out just now. in my experience you need a heck of a lot of rain before seams leak a lot. I've not hose tested it and I'm confident it's good goretex so no worries there, I will in the next few days seam seal it, probably on the outside as recommended by someone who also made one up. It will probably not look that neat but it will definatley be leak proof that way. I will make a double flap eventually when I get some more material but there's no rush.

As for hoops, yeagh I thought about adding some loops strategically placed to either string it up or hoop it...wow there are so many things you can do just wish I could understand sewing machines better! :eek:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Very impressive, you should be well pleased with your bag as there's a great deal of satisfaction and pride to be had from making your own gear.

A big thumbs up to John for inspiring and encouraging people to learn and use skills which they may not have felt confident to do without his help.
happy0034.gif

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Good man WS.

I'm planning on converting a standard army issue bivvi bag by adding a side zip for easy access.

I am planning on using Mcnett Seamsure to seal the new seams as It dries virtually clear and it has never let me down on any of my tents etc.

So by John inspiring you he has also inspired me to get off my backside and have a go myself.

Respects

Phill

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can i just say that uhu glue works a treat for sealing goretex, no watering down, and mines not leaked yet, far easier. nice job by the way

Just ordinary clear UHU in the yellow tube ?
I've been struggling with the iron on tape stuff for ages :rolleyes: It's a nightmare to fix with a domestic iron I find.

cheers,
Toddy

Can i just say that uhu glue works a treat for sealing goretex, no watering down, and mines not leaked yet, far easier. nice job by the way

Our local pound shop was selling large tubes of that when I was last in. I'll need to get a few tubes to try it.

By the way for all the canoests out there needing repair putty, they were selling tubes of repair epoxy putty for £1 (normally £6-£8)

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
I've been struggling with the iron on tape stuff for ages :rolleyes: It's a nightmare to fix with a domestic iron I find.

cheers,
Toddy
Thats the stuff, i got a bivvy with a hole in so i just glued a patch inside then one outside, and sealed it all with that. Been out in snow and rain and so far all is well, frost nor rain has damaged the glue yet, and its not dried hard, still quite flexable

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

cheers,
Toddy

Warm the tape with iron (through brown paper) then use a wallpaper seam roller to put loads of pressure each side of the seam...works well on the straights but is a bit fiddly in corners and curves...

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Warm the tape with iron (through brown paper) then use a wallpaper seam roller to put loads of pressure each side of the seam...works well on the straights but is a bit fiddly in corners and curves...
do as John says on the straights and uhu the corners , i think the uhu i had was in a yellow and black box but drys quick and easy to use and worked a treat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Yeah, I reckon that's why I've had such difficulty getting the result I want, the tape is intended for commercial use and that means using machines like that one :11doh:

Y'know those waterproof zips that are used in the ventile bushshirts ? How long can we get them ?
I fancy a bivvy with a centre opening but the only way I could think to seal it effectively was with a waterproof zip. I don't mind a baffle over the top as a kind of rain shield to keep the worst off, but I reckon it does need some kind of waterproof seal if the zip is there.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s Nice one wOOdsmoke :D , and JF :D

Yeah, I reckon that's why I've had such difficulty getting the result I want, the tape is intended for commercial use and that means using machines like that one :11doh:

Y'know those waterproof zips that are used in the ventile bushshirts ? How long can we get them ?
I fancy a bivvy with a centre opening but the only way I could think to seal it effectively was with a waterproof zip. I don't mind a baffle over the top as a kind of rain shield to keep the worst off, but I reckon it does need some kind of waterproof seal if the zip is there.

cheers,
Toddy

Well the pound shop does indeed have huge tubes of UHU for £1, picked a couple up this morning. Seams..excuse the pun a bargain at that price:D I'd like to get a hold of those waterproof zips that you mentioned but I can't find them anywhere. They look like a great idea though.

I met the guy who designed hot tape machines for Keela and you would not believe how expensive they are...:eek:

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk

cheers,
Toddy

I will give ykk a bell for you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE