Homemade billy can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
Hi everyone,

I'm just starting bushcraft, and one of the first things I needed was a billy can. So I decided to make one.

BillyCan_zpsd7c1f5f8.jpg

It's made out of a syrup can. I punched the holes with a hammer and nail, and then used an old wire coat hanger for the bail. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out!

What do you think?

Hatchet.

Last edited:

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
Unfortunately, I've just realised that because I'm not a full member I have to take the photo from something else like photobucket. I don't have one of these, so is there any way I can delete this thread? Sorry.

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
I can't read the full IMG code on photobucket, it's to long. I click on it and it just says 'copied'. Can anyone tell me how to read the full code?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Once it says 'copied' its stored temporarly on your computer. Go back to your post and position your cursor in your post and press Ctrl and V and the link will appear as if by magik.

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks Southey, this can doesn't have a lining in it. At least, I don't think so. That's why I used this can instead of a tinned food can.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Hatchet, get a can opener and cut that lip off the top of the can/billy. Once you've used it a couple of times it will become a penicillin farm under there. :yuck:

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
Bilmo-p5, I've just cut the extended rim off, and it definitely pours water much better. Of course, now I don't have lid, but I can live with that. I don't use the lid much anyway.

Spandit: Your one is probably much better looking, and it has a lid. :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi Hatchett, great pot, a lid is not imperative but does help boil water a little faster, if you do want one just improvise like you did with pot, foil/off another pot etc.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Spandit: Your one is probably much better looking, and it has a lid. :)

Looks are a matter of conjecture but yours looks fine & the fact you made it yourself makes it much more special. I would be concerned that the tin is lined with something, mind, but after a good burn you ought to be OK

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done!
Most of my billies are home made too - mainly from old stainless steel tea/coffee/sugar containers or biscuit barrels from charity shops :) I use old knitting needles or fencing wire for the bails....
With those cans I get a lid too - which helps speed up a boil:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE