Home-Made sharpening Contraption!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've made this sharpening jig for a play around with and to see if they're up to much. It is just scrap circuit breaker parts from my work and seems pretty good so far. The bevel angle is fully adjustable and the jaw part slips out and flips over to hone the underside of the bevel without removing the blade from the jaws. It is a bit of overkill on the build front, but i like overkill. I have a DC4 stone mounted at present but it could take quite a few different sharpeners.
2011-01-10221648.jpg

011011222843.jpg

011011224043.jpg

I have changed the stone holder as i wasn't happy with the performance of the original.
2011-01-12161129.jpg

Thanks for looking! All comments/criticisms are welcome.

Darren.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Very clever!

Not too portable, eh?:D

Yeah, it certainly isn't designed to be carried on the trail. This one's mainly designed to get an even bevel on the knives i make. I can get a decent sharp edge on my waterstone, but getting both bevels uniformly polished is a skill that still eludes me.

Darren.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I know why you've done it though. I've said before that I do chisel and plane blades for fun, all day long as I need them for my job.

But for knives, at the moment I have a confidence crisis! I have the DC4 and a DMT job but when I need to edge mine then the sharpmaker comes out.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
thats sweet is that Daz,....

haha bits of scrap from work,...you sound like me,....i get called the magpie...

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE