Home made oil cloth

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have this old army pup tent that I am going to turn in to a tarp, and as it is made of canvas I thought that I could have a go making oil cloth. Has anyone done this before. It will e about 7'x9'.

Cheers

Chris

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Boiled linseed oil can self ignite on a bundled rag so be really careful, bushbros!

I used petroleum jelly and... uhhhhh... *sneaker-netting!*... beeswax, danged if I can remember where the recipe came from ;) and scaled it up for Barbour thorn dressing...

1oz Beeswax to 5oz Petroleum jelly, I used 4oz beeswax to 20oz petroleum jelly melted together in a bain marie in a 1.5l pyrex bowl. It did a big curtain fabric cotton cloak (full length, half circle- and- a- bit) but I should have applied another coat. It was a complete PIA to brush in and it ideally needs warming as and after you spread it to get it distributing evenly :) It added a considerable weight to the garment!

Coincidentally, I used the brush afterwards on my oak spinning wheel and then, all the rest of my wooden furniture as I found its an absolutely beaut polish :) Buff off well afterwards though as its a bit sticky.

BTW I bought the petroleum jelly from an animal feed supplier (its used as hoof dressing) and the 1oz beeswax off the bay, MUCH cheapness ;)

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Sure, I know that TG, never a bad idea to metion it again mind!
Remember, I am talking about BOILED Linseed ( re-the drying )
You can add all sorts, Stockholm Tar ( Pine ) iron Oxided pigment, beeswax.
I have found boiled Linssed to be realy very good. ( but let it dry BEFORE you pack it away!.

Let us know how you get on.

Best.

C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE