Home made Gillies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trotsky

This year's Bushmoot was a first for my better half and I, we had a great time and met, amongst others, John C who was wearing a pair of Gillies. I was so taken with them I asked if he'd mind sharing his email and any information he had on them so I could make my own. Upon getting back John very kindly sent me a link to where he sourced the pattern he used and then I was set. Leather was bought, Bex was tasked with printing out the pattern and once I had things together work commenced.

IMG_20160817_202811.jpg
Here is the leather cut to the pattern, only one piece to make the shoe.

IMG_20160818_205947.jpg
The first trial fit, even just walking around the house they prove comfortable

IMG_20160831_214601.jpg
IMG_20160831_214627.jpg
IMG_20160831_214611.jpg
I opted to stain them in the end and also fitted a separate sole to make them more hard wearing. The sole is made from some ~8mm leather I found on Ebay and it's held on with Gorilla glue and two rows of stitching. Since these photos were taken the leather thong I ordered has arrived so they're laced up with that now. I've found them to be so comfortable that I've begun wearing them everywhere except work (the grime and hydraulic oil would wreck them). I've now got orders for more footwear from both my nephew and my other half. My nephew has requested a pair of boots which I have begun putting together now. Work is still in progress.
IMG_20160910_132412.jpg

Leatherwork can be so rewarding, particularly when you make something so practical. I must again say thanks to both John for sending me the pattern and to Toddy for putting up with my questions while in the middle of decorating!

Trotsky

I've just been gifted 5 hides which I am pretty sure are goat, so more projects will be forthcoming, I'm currently looking at something along the lines of a Hedeby boot with toggles on the ankle wrap, possibly lined with fur for use in winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE