Home alone

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Spent Saturday night alone in the woods nice and comfortable it was as well.
Missed my usual buddies but someone has to get out there and count the trees.
I didn't have far to carry my gear but at my age I was puffing by the time I stopped at my destination, after catching my breath (I have asthma) I made a monkey boy brew and scoffed a buttered bun, Anchor butter, yum yum, only had a few minutes to climb further into the woods where there is a flat Plato and lots of beech leaves on the ground, trouble was I didn't have the strength to get up there, so I stayed where I was.
Pictures of my tarp set up shows how and where I slept, the ground sheet was placed over the fallen tree and attached by some nails that were left by previous people, this enabled me to rest against it whilst sleeping as the ground fell away towards the tree.
Had a fairly good night in the summer weight sleeping bag inside Mill Com bivi bag.
Picture of the food is what I had for evening meal, I had the same for breakfast plus plenty of fruit.
The dawn chorus was well worth the trekking up hill the day before, blooming marvellous it were, heard the badgers as there are plenty in this part of the wood but no sight of them unfortunately.

onenighter004.jpg

onenighter002.jpg

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I enjoyed it, would have preferred to be up a bit higher where the big beeches are, and a little further from the tree that I was near. A health and safety inspection was carried out before pitching , me thinking anything that falls will be going downhill.
Has a few bacon rolls that were not in the picture.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Looks like you had some quality me time!
This is something the Three Amigos should do!
Shame the Badgers were being elusive, but it looked like good fun!

Last edited:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
looks good hugo. just be carefull with the windy weather we have had, where you camped is a prime example of what happens to old beech trees in the wind!

pete

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I know what you are saying Pete mate well talk about it later at the Sussex meet if you are going next week.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Bacon rolls should be shared. Shame on you!

I spend at least one night a week out on my tod (weather permitting) and never bother treating myself to a good brekkie.
I'll change that this week.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I usually start breakfast with a bacon roll, then move onto better things, I always take beans but rarely open the can as I am always full.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE