Hoggs of Fife Monarch Moleskin Trousers

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have always been a fan of moleskin trousers, they pretty much do everything you need of them, hardwearing and practical. I think from when I was a kid until I was 30 3 pairs of olive German army lasted me, the only problem was ever increasing waist size usually gave up long before the trousers did.

However in the past couple of years I have grown up and decided that I was past the army trousers look. I discovered Hoggs of Fife Moleskin Trousers. These are second to none and a real go anywhere trouser. They are 16oz Monarch Moleskin fabric, which means they are seriously heavy duty, and they are seriously comfortable. Being trouser cut you can get away with wearing them in more social situations that grubbing about in a forest! Moleskin is good in winter and summer, they have a slight pile to the exterior, they are warm in winter and cool in summer, which is not just a marketing gimmick as I have use them for everything from hard work around our shoot in summer to winter wildfowling standing frozen in a muddy sea all day!

The biggest feature for me is the split rear waist band, I never realise this until Toddy mentioned it on here, but this allows for the waist band to be taken in our out, waist depending!!

I am one seriously happy customer, these trousers are good for, every possible outdoor situation you could throw at them!!! For £40 they will outlast anything else similar!!

I have provided a few links to the trousers just for a looksee, I have never used this shop but the link will give you an overview of the trouser.

http://www.scottsoflangholm.com/sho.../hoggs-of-fife-monarch-moleskin-trousers-p890

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
When I used to work a lot with Army, you saw a lot of these in the Mess: mind you, they were generally red and yellow!

Hardwearing material, from what I'm told, and last for years, although I never wore them myself (being RAF, I was informed by my Army colleagues that I should buy all my formal clothes in Top Shop. Sigh).

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Or you can buy them direct from Hoggs retail outlet (but they always seem more expensive than third part retailers)

http://www.fifecountry.co.uk/mens/clothing/trousers/cords-and-moleskins/hoggs-moleskin-trousers-2151

There is a lot of good value stuff from Hoggs, and their shop in Strathmiglo, or the factory shop in Cupar often has some good bargains.

They are first class trousers and over the last few warm days, I have realised just how much more comfortable they are (less sweaty) than my Craghopper Kiwi walking trousers.

Graham

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I used to wear the Hoggs Moleskin Jeans all the time, I used to have three pairs on the go at any one time, one for smart ('ish), one for winter and one for summer (they get thinner as they wear). I wore one pair for a four month hunting trip in the NWT and they stood up well. I did notice, over the years, that the quality did drop off and they were not lasting as long and becoming shabby quicker. I now have various pairs of trousers and no one favourite. Glyn.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
How do they feel when wearing?

This may seem like a silly question but thanks to medical situations (which i will nor bore you with) i am blessed with some serious scar tissue at the tops of my inner thighs. Jeans are getting too damn uncomfortable to wear so i pretty much live my time in either craghoppers walking trousers or 5.11 trousers that i wear for work.

I could do with something hard wearing yet a little more "formal" than walking trousers.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
How do they feel when wearing?

This may seem like a silly question but thanks to medical situations (which i will nor bore you with) i am blessed with some serious scar tissue at the tops of my inner thighs. Jeans are getting too damn uncomfortable to wear so i pretty much live my time in either craghoppers walking trousers or 5.11 trousers that i wear for work.

I could do with something hard wearing yet a little more "formal" than walking trousers.

I would say that they would be ok as long as you got the trousers rather than the jeans cut versions also, make sure you get them big enough as they do shrink in the wash. The cloth itself is less abrasive than denim but I doubt they will feel as comfy as craghoppers. Good quality cords might be another option? Glyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE