Hive upgrade kit for the Honey stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all,
I know i don't usually do reviews I leave them to Chainsaw but as chainy isn't available here goes (not that i asked him).

Ok i received a hive upgrade kit for the Honey stove yesterday and the first thing i noticed is that the pouch that it comes in is padded with a soft outer material and pvc inner liner. It also expands so you can put your honey stove, tent pegs and tin foil for putting under the stove. Aswell as the hive itself. And it measures 18.5 X 20 cm's.
Taking out the contents there is the base plate, two side and replacement door that has been upgaded so that it can be fitted easier. The base plate has increased in diameter from the 12cm of the Honey stove to 18cm. And also has eight side instead of six.
The two sides panels are the same as the Honey stove. But the door has had a bit of altering to make it easier to fit. The stove is very sturdy and holds together pretty well.

524.jpg
527-1.jpg

After putting all the parts together with the honey stove which was quite easy with the new door. I tried to fit a 3mm peg to the small holes but the pegs that i have seem to be just a bit to short by about 1mm. But after a bit of adjustment with a hammer it fitted perfectly. But the bigger 5mm pegs had no problem fitting the larger holes on top of the stove.

531.jpg
540.jpg

I took the dog for a walk to the local forrest and took the opportunity
to take some pics of the stove setup with different cookware on it starting with my granddads old camping cook set and then a messtin.

542.jpg
543.jpg
547.jpg

At home i tested it out at the bottom of my back garden by my wood storage
shed because i have loads of pine bark to burn there. I started by putting a some tin foil under the stove to catch any hot ash. And started making myself a brew and then moved onto frying a couple of eggs (yes i know i broke one of them ).
The water took less than 10 mins to boil and the eggs were cooked in next to no time atall.

552.jpg
558.jpg
557.jpg
562.jpg

The hive upgrade is a good bit of kit it can surpport larger cook ware i.e frying pan and according to Bob it should be able to be used with a woke aswell which i can believe. And he is waitng for a nicer day a to do BBQ on it aswell.
I find it easier to put more pits of wood in to the hive because i could just drop them in from the top of the stove and i wasn't fiddling trying to push them though the door and risking burning my fingers. I had a lovelly big fire in it and and give off plenty of heat.
As i have said before it all packs away into the pouch given with very nicely and take up very little space in my backpack
Only one more thing to say anyone want an egg Banjo.

559.jpg

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I know i don't usually do reviews I leave them to Chainsaw but as chainy isn't available here goes (not that i asked him).
:slap: ;)

Nice one SB. Looks a good bit of kit and it's a brilliant idea to make ithe standard one expandable. I've an drainer hobo and a larger Chris Randall Yukon so don't think I'll be getting one... although it is shiney.... :cool:

Cheers,

Alan

good bit of kit yes it should fit a wok i use a mini one on a std Honey stove fits perfectly and a good match for a twig burner as thats what wok cooking evolved for due to shortages of wood

have to see if my mate will get the upgrade ;) we saw it last year at the wilderness gathering

also looks like it would make a great Tagine burner mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Morrocan Lamb

i would suggest looking at it that you get 3 sides and bin the door espesially for the hive as it looks best top fed to get the fuel evenly spread

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:
I bought the hive upgrade independently of the group buy :rolleyes:, I recieved mine yesterday and found it a bit tight during construction, stretching it to the extra diameter of the new base plate (yes I was fitting it correctly!) .
Once assembled it was very sturdy, with welcomed extra space for a larger fire/charcoal.

The only problem is now in standard configuration it is very loose fitting :(
So after getting my pliers out and re-straightening the tabs, I cant see me using mine again :eek:, although on the plus side, I now have spare side panels, a large baseplate to rest it on and a much better quality padded pouch to keep it all in goodjob

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE