Hints on flute/recorder/whistle making

Hi all

After some tips/links from anyone who knows about making whistles (as in the type you can play more than one note on i.e. dare I say it recorders). I have made many single note whistles but don't really understand the science behind a recorder!

I notice the 'window' and 'lip' are constructed differently but also when I have drilled through the entire length of a whistle it ceases to work.

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Leo

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Best advice I can give mate, is to go to Paleo Planet - Musical Instruments forum. There's tons of tutorials for all sorts of flutes, whistles and other musical stuff, including the math for working out hole positions and which musical key it's in. Go to the link above, read some of the posts then click on the tutorial section right above the first normal post.

Hope it helps,

Eric

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Thanks Erik
I'm now wondering whether for this type of project requires a workshop to get a good result...

I wouldn't say so. Paleo musicians just managed with what they had to hand. of course they had the invaluable experience of working with primitive tools - they had little choice in the matter, but most if not all of the projects should be possible with the minimum of tools.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE