Hill Descent Control (Freelander)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've always been used to Defender's or big rice burners but I've now got a 2004 Diesel Freelander for work. Its fine on and off road, 35mpg, really comfy - its nice not needing a chiropractor after a long drive like I did in the 110! My only problem with it is the HDC on steep descents, it feels like the vehicle is going too fast and if I touch the brakes it stalls. I never like to touch the clutch but I sometimes have to. HDC is clever but doesn't know theres a sharp bend with a 100' drop off in front! In reverse HDC seems to override the brakes, not nice on a failed hill climb!

Am I doing something wrong?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
HDC was fitted because it was cheaper than fitting a low ratio transfer box - it uses the ABS circuit, I think, to pulse the brakes on and off to arrest descent speed.

It's a cheap fudge, unfortunately, and although it probably works OK in certain scenarios, you're never going to get the control of a proper low ratio

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Mine works fine, no stalling. It restricts the speed to about 5mph
"Hill Descent Control (HDC) allows a smooth and controlled hill descent in rough terrain without the driver needing to touch the brake pedal. Push a button and the vehicle will descend using the ABS brake system to control each wheel's speed. If the vehicle accelerates without driver input, the system will automatically apply the brakes to slow down to the desired vehicle speed."
Check out the Landrover forums to solve any issues, there are a few!

PREPER............. :)

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Do you have to select a certain gear before switching on HDC i.e first gear or does it work the same what ever gear your in ???

negtneg

Dec 29, 2010
Northamptonshire, UK
Concur it only 'works' in first and reverse - I was really excited to try it, went off-roading with AROC and was disappointed - it's rubbish :)

Car is very capable, it's just that you're better off with your right foot covering the brake.

Sorry to burst your bubble, all of the above is IMHO of course - in short, great car with a gimmick to appease... the uninitiated

S

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Concur it only 'works' in first and reverse - I was really excited to try it, went off-roading with AROC and was disappointed - it's rubbish :)

Car is very capable, it's just that you're better off with your right foot covering the brake.

Sorry to burst your bubble, all of the above is IMHO of course - in short, great car with a gimmick to appease... the uninitiated

S

My sentiments exactly. Give me a transfer box anyday.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
+1 for low gears but then I use a Toyota Hilux :)
Slip into lo-gear, let the clutch out (bless him - he does like his walkies!) then go and make tea! total control, no slippage
uphill/downhill = no difference Toyota - you know it makes sense:eek:
As been said before- if you want to 'go there' - use a landrover...
but if you want to come back.... use a Toyota !!!
Let's face it, over 30,000 terro-rists can't all be wrong!
BTW - this is not an advert for Toyota:lmao:

Delta Tubs

Oct 8, 2011
Aberdeen Scotland
Hi bowland I have never driven the freelancer with HDC but have driven extensively off road in Discoveries and defenders. If you have cruise control on your Freelander then you can adjust the speed the HDC works at same as the Discos.Hope this helps.Must admit I never use it with low ratio,I know the Freelander doesn't have it,as I feel it slows you tool much.

Tubs

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I once saw a Freelander fry its clutch trying to drive up the Wayfarer. Luckily there was a bloke with him driving a Vauxhall Frontera who was able to tow him up to the top..... Low-range is probably a good idea for an off-roader, but how many Freelanders ever leave tarmac?

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Very few Freelanders will ever leave tarmac. I use mine on hill tracks - quite steep in places, mine probably spends more time off metalled roads than most Defenders!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
A FREELANDER????????????????????

i will get me coat.....:ban:

I'm not saying my Freelander is better than a Defender, I'd go back to one tomorrow given the choice. I use my Freelander off road for work every day, theres one track I can't use now as it was low range 1st difflock to descend in the 110.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE