Hiking the North downs in one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Hey guys
As I've previously mentioned I'm wanting to hike the north downs with the girlfriend but slightly worried about legality and possibility, I'm up for stealth camping but would rather do it without the risk of getting nicked. Being 16 I doubt many campsites would take u but happy to know of ones that would, want to do it this year as the holiday I have before I start collage is 3 months
Thanks in advance

Denny 😊

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Google "wild camping north downs way". Jealous moan-when stealth camping at sixteen never had a female companion. I do like the fact that mixed young camping groups seem common now, even if the individuals are not in a relationship, see the Ten Tors for example.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Cheers and yeah very lucky she's into the outdoors enough to do the things I put her through, everybody thinks she's nuts for doing it. Does annoy me how people seem to think that the outdoors is restricted to men and boys.

Denny 😊

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I'm section hiking and taking a rather liberal view to stealth camping, a view that forum rules don't allow me to explain further. A friend of mine hiked the NDW a couple of years back, and ended up in B&B's most nights, using the tent only once.

I currently only have the maps for just west of Harrietsham -> Dover, so can only offer suggestions for this bit but:

Harrietsham - Boughton Lees:
  • Dunn Street tq992480

Boughton Lees - Dover (Via Wye)
  • Satmar - TR 256393 (about 1km north of NDW)
  • The Warren - TR243376 (about 1/2km south of NDW)
  • The Warren - TR247376 (about 1/2km south of NDW)

Boughton Lees - Dover (Via Wye)
  • Canterbury - TR172 576 (about 1km north of NDW)

This is based on those marked on a 1:25k map. Others may exist, these may have closed, your mileage may vary, investments can go up as well as down, hills only go up. etc...

There are a number of places that I would consider wild camping, tho non east of Etchinghill on the southern loop... and the area round Canterbury is a tad sparse. But as you shouldn't be doing that (no no no nods head no no no), that doesn't matter.

Beyond that, bear in mind that water is not easy to find on some of the lumpier bits of the NDW. And even where there are streams, the agricultural run off makes them sub optimal.

Hopefully this hasn't depressed you too much. Good luck, let us know how you get on. I'm hoping my feet allow me to do some more of the NDW this summer, maybe we'll pass each other on the Way.

Happy wandering...

J

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I did the North Downs Way about 25 years ago. Stealth camped all the way. In fact, when I did it, there was no other option as there weren't sufficient campsites along the way. Just use common sense. Keep a low profile. No fires before it gets dark and keep the fires small. A Trangia (or similar) might be the better option. Get up early and pack the tent away before anyone else is about.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Perhaps I'm weird, but while I do wild camp, I won't light a fire without permission...

I also really like the low profile simplicity of a bivvi bag + tarp...

J

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Agreed. A bivi bag would be the best option. Back in the day, I had very basic kit. I had a Lichfield Viper tent and no stove.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
94a7aa1218bb22483809f98ff58ef9c1.jpg

got this today for the trip (on the left) compared to my 45 ltr airjet. was sold as a late berghaus but no markings and it's defiantly surplus. any clues?

denny 😊

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE