Highlander Military TT100 Bergan (PLCE Copy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
A bit of advice please.

I've wanted an Olive Drab Berghaus Vulcan for some time now having had a Cyclops II in the late 80s/early 90s which I STUPIDLY:banghead: got rid of.

The only Vulcans were either new or silly prices for 20 year old bags. I stumbled on this http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/RUCKSACKS+++BAGS/Description/100LT+FORCES+STYLE+RUCKSACK/ItemId/894/Default.aspx and thought I'd hit the jackpot. I ordered one with a bit of discount and later received a rucksack.

On opening it, it is a Olive Drab Military TT100 Bergan http://www.highlander1.com/military/rucksacks/TT100C-TT-MILITARY-BERGAN.html It quite comfy but VERY large and obviously not a Vulcan. A quick call to Silvermans revealed this was what they are now getting from Highlander and a quick call to them confirmed this saying the Vulcan copy was no longer made.

I'm now unsure what to do- I wanted a LARGE bergan but not really as large as the PLCE. Now the quality seems very good (much much better than a webtex and seemingly as good as an issue one and indeed there is a lifetime guarantee on it, but should I keep looking or stick with this?

I'm worried I'll fill it up even though I'm quite disciplined. I only wanted a bigger bag than my Sabre 45 'cos of my issue 90 doss bag eating up the space during the winter!

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi,

I thought that the PLCE bergans were based on the Vulcan and have pretty much the same volume. I get the impression from both sites that they do represent the same size: 100 litre main body with 20 litres in the side pockets/rocket pouches.

If it's comfortable and does what you want, then it could be the bag for you (just leave off the rocket pouches so that you don't fill them!). However, if you're not happy it, regardless of suitability, then it's wrong.

Claudiasboris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A mate of mine has had a Highlander for a couple of years and he`s very happy with it. From what I`ve heard they`re pretty good gear for the money. If you`re not happy with the size though I`d send it back and look at a smaller version.

Endicotts get Vulcans in a lot and do some really good deals on varying grades.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Endicotts were all washed out apart from grade 2 stuff. Vulcans are smaller than PLCE, but yes PLCE are based on them. Vulcan are 80+20 and the PLCE are 95+30. I know I can leave off the pockets but pockets are useful. At the end of the day it's a nice bit of kit but not really what I'm after- damn I know the answer but... oh the draw of brand new kit!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup I agree highlander is usually OK but I find it is softer therefore not as strong as More Military designs.

I've used loads of Bags from Karrimor, to US ALICE, Years ago i bought a brand new DPM PLCE bergen, which i used for years and loved it eventually i realised it was heavy but strong, and i always filled it to the top after an ML course (and carrying too much)I eventually bit my lip and swapped it for a Snugpak rocketpak, a much smaller and Not DPM bag.

I found the Snugpak, had nice design features it was comfy but the materials used just didn't give me confidence especially when pulling my bag through brambles etc.

it's fair to say the bag did stand up to the abuse but i always had to be careful,

today I have gone back to a Olive PLCE bergen(from E-bay), and a US army Medium ALICE pack.

Don't know if that's helpfull,
Cheers
Rich

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
It is Rich. As I say I've a Sabre 45 (and pouches) already but for winter it's just a tad too small. The PLCE is just a tad too big but I think I'll give Endys another go tomorrow and if not I'll keep it- the warranty's worth it alone.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just had a quick look at Endicotts. hmmm

I'm a bit worried they don't know what they are selling...:rolleyes:

(from endicotts)Genuine Issue U.S A.L.I.C.E ('A'merican 'L'ight 'I'nfantry 'C'arrying 'E'quipment) PACKS.
ALICE actually stands for:
"All Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment"
seeing as it was issued to the whole of the US forces not just the Infantry
and the Bag already has a BIG U.S. stamped on it, why would they then describe the bag as a less specific "American"?
sounds like a guess to me!:rolleyes:

:soapbox: agghhh, stuff like that annoy's me a bit like the guy's that still sell British "DMP" Cammo instead of "DPM"
(it should be "Disruptive Pattern Material")
and not "Distributive" either:sigh:

a Picky point but perhaps a worry if you want them to supply quality information!
Oh well good luck!;)

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
The Vulcan has a much more supportive back system than the issue bergen or the Highlander, but I suppose this really only matters if you are carrying heavy loads... which you are not!? Of course you could always get a smaller sleeping bag instead of a bigger rucksack!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The trouble with a smaller doss bag is that it's not so warm as a big one.Anyone can be cold.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I've got a snugpak softie 9 which packs to the size of 2 bags of sugar and that's plenty warm enough, yet my vango nitestar 350 which is "good to -18" is as warm as a paper towel.

Size of dossbags doesn't really compare with warmth factor.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Fair comment Nat.
I suppose type and quality of fill has a lot to do with it.I like my comfort and my doss bag is number 1 priority,By doing this I have reduced my pack size from 120L to 45 = side pockets. Mainly because the doss bag is so heavy I have lightened up on every thing else.Do I really need two pots? No. do I really need 100 feet of paracord? No.
It's amazing what I don't take now ,and find myself just as comfortable but learning how to use the things around me.For example I no longer carry tent pegs or any form of cooker,it all seems like little gain but the little things add up.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Found that myself Sapper. I've gone from the bog standard issue bergen and dossbag to roughly 55litre pack size with a pocket or two during the winter. Now i'm trying for a 45 (with the option of side pockets).
I tested the softie in November at yellow wood in a hammock and a cheap underblanket and found i was quite hot. It's synthetic, and i've not used a down bag since my army days (which i hated them even then!)

The trouble with dossbags i think is if it looks small, then psychologically it's going to be cold whereas a huge fluffy one is obviously warm to some people.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use a 45 with side pockets.Inside I get a hammock and cocoon and an army summer bag with loads of room to spare.I find myself looking for things to put in the pockets to even them out.Even in sub zero temps I sleep in pants and t-shirt with this set up.I find my biggest weight is food and water,This year i'm trying dried rice meals and taking some meat to add to it I enjoy them at home as a quick meal,they have plenty of flavour and loads of seasoning.I am still trying to find dehydrated water as the wet stuff is quite heavy and bulky.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Same here fella, this dehydrated water is a pain to find :lmao:
I carry a fair bit of dehydrated food, jerky veggies etc, which cuts on weight, but then the water just adds to it unless i'm somewhere where there is water readily avalaible.

Now to dig out a 45L as i appear to have no bag at all! (Damn this kayaking hobby on the side :D )

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
The trouble with a smaller doss bag is that it's not so warm as a big one.Anyone can be cold.

I reduced my sleeping bag pack size by half by switching to down for no loss of warmth. I used to use a Vulcan, but now get everything in a Sabre 45 with side pockets. So it can be done! That said, if I have to do serious sub-zero stuff (ie snow and ice), the Vulcan will be back in use, cos extra clothing takes up loads of room.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE