hieght of fire

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would think as high as possible but it would depend on the temperature both air and fire, the ground, wind and safety.
I would guess if you can stick your hand under it and it doesnt burn niether will the ground. If its on sand or dirt it doesnt matter either.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Welcome to the forum

As in all things bushcrafty I do not see myself as an expert in this topic but can give you some comments.

As per Dwardo with some additional observations

I think most fire baskets are about 4 inches/10 cms off the ground and this gives an order of magnitude. So anything above this should be ok and anything significantly below it probably won't be.

However, regardless of the height of your basket above ground level, you should clear the ground below the basket - and for, say, one foot/30 centimeters around it of all debris , grass etc and put this on one side.

When you have finished with your fire basket you should make sure the ground below it is cool. This will involve actually touching the ground with your bare hands. If in doubt pour water over the warm ground but this probably won't benecessary.

Finally put back the debris/grass etc so that you leave no trace

i want to sort some thing out for if and when i go over to the campsite at coventry scout camp. they dont want fire burns every where and theres a few other camps i want to try. i have a 50 gallon barrel which i was going to cut off the first 6 inch to make a tray and some legs to keep it up off the ground. but if its to high then i will loose the heat from the side ways view when i am sat infront of it

Hi Pete, my homemade job has about 15cm legs, pushed in for stability reduced to 10cm! Never had a problem when it kicks out heat! The only trace I've ever had is when you don't see that large ember hit the grass in the dark.
If its rough close at Coventry you will be fine with 2 house bricks for height! (i think thats what Decorum and two dogs use with theirs!) It's mainly hard pounded dirt under foot in the woods there, and this time of year, not much greenage to worry about!! (harder though when the bluebells are out!)

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hiya pete, i suppose it depends how big a fire you intend to have, and what you will be burning. a low fire box with a small fire, or a higher one with an inferno! :D

this is one i made for our meets, we have some healthy burns and its never an issue with radiating heat or scorching with this setup.

062.jpg

Last edited:
i like the side of a barrel idea very good , i do also like the seperate fire compartment and the angle reinforcement, a very nice set up indead.

I was thinking along the lines of a barrel bottom round about a 6" high and a much smaller fire!
but then again i dont burn or buy logs i just use scrap timber instead. i will have to get the grinder out over humbug and knock it up and then i can trial the mark one at the coventry gathering

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
sounds good pete, as dwardo said some legs on the bottom will keep it off the floor, maybe some threaded bar to stabilise/level the fire? but if its just for yourself its a bit of a bulky item.
lots of guys use a military fuel can with the side cut out, they work well. for a small off the floor fire i use an old ammo box, lid serves as a pot rest/warmer and closes over to keep it all tidy, carry handle too! :)

this is before i fired it up, just have a mooch for some rocks to support the corners.

011-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE