Hiding out to see wildlife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
Near my house in France there's a track uphill with a woodland on the right. There's a definite animal track that crosses the path. I've got this idea to sit hidden in the woods using a camouflage net and see what animals use the track. Do you reckon there is a best time of day to try this? I suspect the animals are deer.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
boisdevie said:
Near my house in France there's a track uphill with a woodland on the right. There's a definite animal track that crosses the path. I've got this idea to sit hidden in the woods using a camouflage net and see what animals use the track. Do you reckon there is a best time of day to try this? I suspect the animals are deer.
Dawn and dusk are usually the best daylight times, but if the track is little used by humans, then wildlife may be present there all the time. Night time with a powerful torch can be fun, the torch light wont bother the animals...I have watched badgers only 10 feet away from me, with a 3 cell maglight beam right on them, and they were not bothered at all. If the track is often used by humans, then the chances are wildlife, ie mammals, will only be passing through.
Good luck, and let us know what you see...

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
boisdevie said:

Dawn and dusk are usually best as already mentioned...Just make sure you are down wind of the track, as most animals tend to use their sense of smell as their primary defence.

If you sit in the shadows and sit still (i mean really still!) you don't need a hide...A face veil or head net helps to disguise the shine and shape of your face help, and as do gloves to cover your hands...If you are going to sit at ground level, think of ways to make yourself comfortable, as the more comfortable you are, the less likely you are to move...Movement is generally what animals spot first...

If you have or can borrow a pair of binoculars, they will help no end...

Jan 22, 2006
uk
just sitting at the base of a comfy tree for a few hrs, you'll most likely see tons of stuff, from shrews to foxes and everything in between.
once you've been still for a good while and all the animals go about their business again, its the greatest thing to watch them oblivious to you...or more likely they half know youre there, but they dont feel your a threat and let themselves be seen by you.

keep a really warm old coat in the shed or away from 'human' smells and you'll increase your chances. smoke from th efire masks them pretty well.

there's a bit of an art to sitting v still for so long, can be very painful, but its best to move once and get comfy and settle again then keep shifting with leg/back pains etc

fantastic stuff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE