Hi - Free Nan Bread Tip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

McGruff

New member here. After buying a woodgas stove, I needed a knife to prep wood: not something to scare Crocodile Dundee just a wickedly-sharp, wood-working tool. I started reading around the forums and found bushcraft.co.uk - a great source of info :)

Love rough-stuff cycling in Scotland. You might bump into me on a land-rover track somewhere heading deep into the hills.

Tarp-curious.

McGruff

Oops forgot the nan bread tip.

It's tough to make bread in a pan. It tends to burn on the outside and stay raw on the inside.

What you need is a good-textured dough with lots of little air pockets, a bit like a sponge. These help to transfer heat into the dough, cooking it through before the outside burns to a crisp.

The spongy texture is usually created by kneading and yeast. The yeast puffs air (or CO2) into the dough and kneading makes the protein form up into long strings which trap the gas.

That can be a lot of work, and messy, but there's a short-cut: mix the flour & water quickly and leave it overnight. Time will create a good dough texture all on its own without any kneading. At home I sometimes leave a bowl of dough in the fridge and break lumps off to make chapatis etc. Instant bread.

It still takes a bit of practice to cook nan bread in a pan but this makes it just feasible.

The bread mix:
a good high-protein bread flour
yeast
salt (not too much the yeast doesn't like it)
a sprinkle of nigella seeds.

Hot, fresh bread is amazing any time and especially on a long camping trip.

I'll usually make up a curry paste at home. Blitz a ton of onions in the food processor, add plenty spices, tinned tomatoes, and lots of oil for the calories. Reduce it down to get all the water out. Now, to make a curry, all you need is some meat or, in my case, lentils.

Red lentils cook really quickly. Boil for a couple of minutes or so then add some curry paste and put to the side while you cook the nan bread in a hot pan, a few minutes each side. Watch them closely and char them just a little bit for flavour - but not too much!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE