hexi gel and esbit is it safe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

galavanter

Aug 1, 2011
southwestscotland
I have quite a few survival kits in differant bags in house and was wondering how safe it w as to keep, gel, hexitabs in closed tins .I had noticed some of my tabs had started sweating in a plastic container

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well i have had hexi in the garage for years and it does go off, if you like, but thats not stored air tight, the only real answer is if your worried dont do it, the gel how ever should be fine as long as its sealed, just give it a good squish in the packet before use to ensure its mixed well. you might find the tabs have sweated because of where they are stored, keep them away from any heat such as radiator etc etc, try to keep them around 15-18 c and they should be fine though...

let us know how you get on though,as the sweating is fuel being lost, as an alternative you could make some waxed cotton balls, they will last for ever, almost, and wont go off as such and are waterproof untill pulled/fluffed up to use...:)

hope you get on ok..

chris.

galavanter

Aug 1, 2011
southwestscotland
Cheers Chris had been in an Outdoor shop asking about green gel and the assistant said they used to store it but found if kept too long it could become dodgy ,but you mentioned giving it a squish first which is worth knowing .I do use cottonwool and vaseline which is very good for starting off .Just to be on the safe side I will keep the combustials in the shed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE