Heraldic Crests

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Is there a definitive searchable database for Heraldic Crests?

I'm sure someone here will be into HEMA and the medieval period.

TIA

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
No, it's a real thing:

Oops, I meant College of Arms.

What do you mean by 'heraldic crest'? The crest is that thing that sits on top of the helmet on the full achievement of arms.
For example, here the crest is a coronet:

_101751031_e7c7fbd5-55eb-40d3-922b-12e38c6f688c.jpg

Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Expecting a gong anytime soon?:)

Not quite.

Mostly a question related to ego and interest I guess

My REAL Christian name is within Arthurian legend. As a Knight.. I was wondering if that person had a Heraldic shield and crest thingy.

My middle name IS from an Earl. - I have located the Crest for that.

My Surname - I'm pretty sure it should have a Shield/Crest gizmo but am so far unable to locate one.

( I'm realising thats all sounding a bit like a Riddle. )

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Right.
I can see the problem you are facing.
King Arthur did not exist. Yes, I know there are all sorts of theories, but he didn't.
So neither did his knights. Therefore, there will be no coat of arms/crest associated.
And even if Arthur and his knights did exist, it was during a time that predates heraldry, and so they wouldn't have a coat of arms either.
You're on a hiding to nothing there. Quite possibly some artists and illustrators may have given some knights a coat of arms etc, but that is not 'official' and different artists may give them different details. And there's nothing to say they are right or wrong because, as I just said, they are fictional.

Truth is, there are no set items that comprise a full achievement of arms. When someone is granted arms they sit down with a herald and they create something that is relevant to the person. That goes for the actual arms themselves, any supporters (those things on the side holding the shield) and the crest (any helmet/hat will depend on set factors). So those supporters and crest can pretty much be anything and will be tailored to the applicant rather than a set list of options.

It could well be that someone with your surname has, at some point in history, been granted a coat of arms. That in no way implies that they are 'yours' as well. Unless your are hereditary gentry then even if you father had a coat of arms that would NOT mean you are entitled to use it. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Just because someone in history happened to have the same surname as you, and had a coat of arms, means it's no more relevant to you than it is to me. That's a false connection.

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The process of acquiring a coat of arms is tedious and, I suspect, expensive - it is also outdated and unnecessarily restricted IMO.

However, you can design and register a logo very cheaply - then just use that logo on all your letters, emails, over the drawbridge of your castle etc. - job done! :)

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE