Hennessey Explorer Delux Hammock

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
HI all.

does anyone have any experience of these? are they any good? are there better options?
(I'm considering buying one for a summer trip.)

PS: I tried searching the forum for a review of said hammock but there didn't seem to be any previous threads. If you know of one - point me at it.

Rob

johannesburg

Jul 11, 2008
Nottingham
I've got one. It's my first hammock and so far I have no complaints. Plenty of room but will take a few go's to get the right spot to lie in :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have the smaller Exped Asym which I rate as a good bit of kit, a good all in one solution. I don`t find it as comfortable as a large silk hammock, but compare it against all the other equivalent kit like a tarp, mosi net, hammock, cordage and karabiners etc then it`s a nice compact and probably lighter package.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
cool, i'm going to get one soon then. saddletramp - the explorer is the long one, i'm 6ft 6.

presuming i am right in thinking it comes with the whole kit and kaboodle?

Dec 16, 2007
I have the explorer deluxe and find it a lovely bit of kit. It came with the snake skins and I also got the hex fly which has been moded with tapes instead of the plastic rings for the sides and extra ridge tapes like most tarps nowdays. The only con is that a mat inside will move about if you fidget when you sleep but other than that it's great for warm weather hammocking.
Have a look on the hammock forums for more advice but you can't go wrong for an all in one bit of kit.
If your on face book there are some groups for hennessy hammocks and hammock camping.

Swampy.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
If I may, check out the hammock forums (I think its hammockforums.com) They can answer all your questions. I have been using an HH exped for a couple years, and love mine.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
So I've ordered one from RVOPS and can't wait to get it. I have another question though. What do y'all use for insulation? I'm thinking of using a thermarest type pad inside my sleeping bag and a taking a space blanket to use as an emergency under blanket.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used a half inflated thermarest in mine but you still need to rearrange them during the night. Putting it inside your doss bag would work though. I`ve heard the Wanderingstar underblankets work quite well with HH.
I wouldn`t bother with the space blanket though Rob, it`ll just cause condensation underneath you and it won`t provide that much insulation.
I used a goretex bivvy bag with the thermareat and doss bag in which kind of works but it`s a nightmare to get into in the first place.

I don`t really use mine much anymore but I`ve hung onto it for the warmer weather.

BOD

Locum,

They are extremely dangerous items of kit.

I used to sleep in home made hammocks, jungle shelter platforms or just on the ground with a tarp overhead. Like a real man.

Since I got my HH 4 years ago, I only sleep in it. Others sleep like real men (and women) do. I sleep like the softy I have become but I sleep well.

A HH can damage your reputation as a real bushcrafter. You won't muck about with debris shelters and the like any more.

Ash

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Locum,

They are extremely dangerous items of kit.

I used to sleep in home made hammocks, jungle shelter platforms or just on the ground with a tarp overhead. Like a real man.

Since I got my HH 4 years ago, I only sleep in it. Others sleep like real men (and women) do. I sleep like the softy I have become but I sleep well.

A HH can damage your reputation as a real bushcrafter. You won't muck about with debris shelters and the like any more.

Ash

:lmao: Aren't bushcrafters supposed to be experts at being comfy outdoors anyway. :rolleyes:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I use the under and over blankets sold as a group buy on here and don't bother with a mat or sleeping bag. They keep me warm. Snake skins are a great addition. Also for severe downpours (like we had at the last Midland meet) you may wish to get their larger fly sheet.

Alan

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I have the supershelter setup, but I am taking a trip for a week in the White mountains this summer, so I am going to try out using a pad. I plan on doing a few nights in it beforehand. REI here in the US has a wide CCF pad I picked up, and want to try it out. I will try it both inside the hammock itself, and in the super shelter nylon thingy (in place of the OCF pad). I the White mountains, you are required to camp in the shelters, unless forced to otherwise. This minimizes camping impact, and gives the rangers someone to talk to. Oh yeah, and generates money for the upkeep of the forest (its like $6/night or so). So, I need something I can sleep on in the shelters, as well as use in the hammock itself.
FYI, there is a guy on the hammock forums that does mods; he sews a full length zipper on the side, so it is a side-entry hammock. Its an aweseome mod to the hammock!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE