Hemlock Question

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Not the notorious umbellifer, but the tree Western Hemlock, tsuga heterophylla.
Earlier this year I made spruce beer, and I'm looking at other conifers to use for brewing. I find the sharp citrus smell of the hemlock tree foliage quite pleasing, but wonder if it is safe to use.
So, my question is why is the Hemlock tree so named, and is there any connection with the poisonous plant conium maculatum?
Also are there any other conifer species that I should avoid using for flavouring my brewing attempts (I already know not to use Yew)
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
From yahoo answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

There seems to be some confusion with the answers here.

Hemlock tree is coniferous tree and a member of the Tsuga genus (family Pinaceae). The poisonous perennial, herbaceous hemlock plants that grow near streams and in fields (e.g. water hemlock, poison hemlock and hemlock water dropwort) are members of the family Apiaceae. Therefore the two are TOTALLY unrelated and bear no physical resemblance to each other either. The reason why hemlock tree came to be named is because someone thought that when you crush the needles (it's a pine tree) the smell is similar to that obtained when you crush poisonous hemlock leaves, but that's the ONLY connection.

Hemlock tree is quite safe to plant in your yard and is no more toxic than any other pine tree. In fact, the young needles can be brewed as a type of tea which is very rich in Vitamin C! By the way, the only toxic conifer that I know of is the Yew tree (Taxus baccata)
Source(s):
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseed…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemlock
4 years ago

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks tomongoose.

TBH I have never smelled the crushed foliage of the umbellifer Hemlock, because I know that it is poisonous so I leave it well alone. It never occurred to me that similar foliage smell could cause someone to name a tree (very big plant) after a really quite small plant.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I understand that needles from the Hemlock tree make a nice tea (said to be pineappley - I thought they were disgusting myself). Do not confuse Hemlock needles with Yew needles as they are quite similar and Yew needle tea is something you get to drink only once as you already know...Fortunately the trees look very different.

The Western Hemlock is my favourite tree

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE