Helsport Kongsvold 8-10 Lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Did you have foam mattresses between you and the camp beds? I'm up to Scotland tomorrow and was planning on beds and foam sleep mats.... But worried about the cold

Got to say I've never had any problem with the cold when I've slept on a camp bed and the coldest it went down to was about -8 or -9deg with me under a tarp, frost on the bivi bag in the morning.

I just make sure I have plenty of insulation underneath me as well as on top.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
sleeping on a cot bed with a stove going is warm i sleep on my cot bed with just a 3 season bag no sort of insulation on the cot bed. by sleeping on the cot bed it raises you into the warmer air and the air below the cot is like a cold sink witch keeps the cold air away from you. I know you like Wiggy Andy but seriously try sleeping on a cot bed with the stove going then form you own opinion.

Hi Karl. Actually I have - both the US Army cot and the luxurylite mesh cot. Problem is not when the stove is running, but when it goes out, as the ultralight ti or ss ones will do overnight unless you have a stove guardian, feeding it every hour or so! The sollid cast iron ones that'll burn for 6-8 hours or so on one load are a different matter. And when the stove goes out ,you are back to the problems of cold floor and air under the cot issue, as snowy's post points out.

As Paul also points out, the size of the tipi is also important, with smaller being better for heat retention. The Polish lavvu for example will keep you toasty all night with just a candle-burner going!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just come back from camping in the Lakes in my Varanger this weekend when it was down to about minus 5. There was five of us in the tent 2 on camp beds and three on mats, the two on camp beds were cold all night with cold air underneath them. We did have the stove going but only for a few hours. I know I have had the same issue when sleeping in a hammock and being warm on top but cold underneath so from now on its mats for us all. I bought a great ex army mat, dutch I think that is almost like a futon mattress with a rubberished back. Small or Light it isn't but its very comfy.

156856_10200912231117595_1677969683_n.jpg

Sounds like the Polish Army mat from Military Mart?

Nov 7, 2012
UK
No just a thin blanket, I think it would have been alot better with some foam or just a good thick blanket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE