Help with identification

Jan 25, 2015
Warrington
Hello, I'm a new member to this forum, and I have been getting into bushcraft lately, today I went out and on my travels I found a pine tree (or what im sure is a pine tree). I know that pine needles are supposed to make a nice tea, and I am curious to try it. Anyway, I pulled some needles off the tree, and I noticed that the needles start as a singular brown 'sheathe' and then spreads into Two needles, about 4 inches long each, they done seem to have any pattern to how they grow, they just cover the whole end of the branch. Please, if anybody could let me know if I can go ahead and make some tea? T.I.A

Jan 25, 2015
Warrington
Hello, I am not using a computer or laptop, I'm using my tablet so I can't post images on here, I will send you an email as I can attach an image that way. One moment.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
BishopPineMaleConeRS_000.jpg

Jan 25, 2015
Warrington
The needles look pretty much identical to the ones I have, but the branch I collected, the needles are much more abundant. I would say that there are about 20-30 pairs of needles just on the last inch of the branch I collected. I don't know if this is any help.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Trying to identify conifers in the UK is a nightmare, even if you have got them right in front of you. Without even a picture it is absolutely hopeless. There are only 4 native conifers, but there are well over 100 quite common introduced conifers, including loads of species of pine.

Jan 25, 2015
Warrington
Haha! So I can make pine needle tea, but I could also get poisoned while doing so. I think I'll give this one a miss until I can positively identify what I'm looking at! But thanks you for all the help guys, and sorry for the trouble, still really getting used to all of this. :)

The two pines I saw most of in the UK were the Scots pine which has leaves in pairs like yours and the lodgepole which is mainly in forestry lots which also is in pairs.

I can;t speak for every pine tree but I aint never heard of a poisonous one yet.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The two pines I saw most of in the UK were the Scots pine which has leaves in pairs like yours and the lodgepole which is mainly in forestry lots which also is in pairs.

I can;t speak for every pine tree but I aint never heard of a poisonous one yet.

I agree. I am not aware of any poisonous pines, or even pines whose needles would be hazardous to health if they are steeped in water.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Most likely scotts or corsican pine, scotts are 2-5" and corsican 5-7"long and the most commonly planted commercial pines. As far as I know yellow pine is the only poisonous one and a rarity here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE