Help with horses hoof fungi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David Moulds

May 3, 2005
Belfast N.Ireland
Does the horses hoof fungi grow on felled birched trees?I was out for a dander this morning and saw some fungi on the birch I think it is the same stuff as Ray uses for plasters.I have no photos but if any body could post some pics it would be a great help.
Thanks in advance Davy.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Hi David. As Simon says the fungi that was used for plasters was birch polypore, rather that Horses hoof. The latter is used for fire lighting as it catches a spark very well and is generally found on Beech and Sycamore - though I believe up in Scotland it has been found on Birch

This is a birch polypore (Piptoporus betulinus)
sep-43b.JPG

While this is Horses Hoof fungus (fomes fomentarius)

fomes_bk6.jpg

:)

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
I used a birch polyphore as a plaster the other day, having had my folder close up on me while poking at a birch to see how the sap was doing (it's time like these that you wish the knife wasn't quite so sharp, that and cursing not paying attention when using something carelessly). I think it was a bit young though as the top surface certainly didn't peel away as it did on that Ray DVD.and I ended up having to tie it around my finger with a bit of fern stem. I think horses hoof would be too hard to peel the top.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
David Moulds said:
Thanks for the pics it is diffidently a birch poly pore,are there any other uses for it other than plasters.

Yes. it has another nickname, Razor Strop Fungus.

It can also be used as a coal extender in bushcraft.

Try typing POLYPORE into the search function. Then set aside an hour or two for reading

Nice to know a fungi can be diffident too ;)

P

Philr

I looked for a tinder fungi for ages then caught me a big un now i see em all the time .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE