Help with Cleaning a Tatonka Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
My nice new tarp has been properly christened with two weeks in the woods so is very grubby - general dirt, dog foot prints (they jumped on it the moment it came out of the bag), bird droppings and a drop of pine resin.

Any suggestions for cleaning it properly. I have brushed it but wondered if there were any tricks for dealing with the bird droppings and resin and if it can go in a washing machine or not? Also what kind of detergent is best if any?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Polycotton or Polyester? I'd just try to remove the worst with a damp cloth and warm water. The bird droppings and general dirt should come off that way. Think of the pine resin as a feature! :D Will it pick off with your fingernails?

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Cheers Scanker. It's a polycotton. As long as the resin won't harm it then I'm happy to keep it as a feature. It was gooey last time I tried to pick it off but will probably have set by now.

So you wouldn't recommend washing it with something like the Nikwax TX.Direct Wash In?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I agree with Scanker, just warm water if you need to clean it.. I have a polycotton tatonka tarp and have never cleaned it. I just make sure it goes away dry. I just shake off all the bits on it..It has a lovely smell of wood smoke. Bird droppings may be an issue though, so maybe best to wash them off, esp if they are big splodges.. You should not need to treat it with anything yet, I have never treated mine and its very water tight still. I have had it about 2 years I think...Very good tarps...

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
If you need to get pine resin out of material, you can often shift it by putting some newspaper/kitchen towel over the top of it, and gently ironing the newspaper - the heat melts the resin, which soaks into the paper.

Of course, there's a risk you melt your tarp, or melt the resin permanently into the tarp, or wreck the iron! So probably worth testing on an edge rather than right in the middle first :p

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Thanks Guys - that's a great help. And I agree with you Johnny that they're great tarps. It's a 4 x 3 and I wondered when I got it if it was a bit on the huge size but it's fantastic. It can be adjusted for all sorts of weather and always gives lots of space. Looking forward to more memories gathering on the top of it!

By the way, a bird flew under it one morning and sat on my shoulder whilst I was in my hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE