Help to identify knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
Hi. For over 20 years now i have been the proud owner of my bushcraft knife. i was wondering if anyone can help me with the identification marks on it?

Although badly faded after years of cleaning and sharpening some of the marks are still legible.

It seems to be "Knowles & Sons, Sheffield, England. Est 1700." There is also a model name of "Bowie" and a symbol of crossed keys beside it.

Any help on info about the company?

Thanks.

Alan

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I did a google and did see on this page that there was a sheffield silversmith (at least, some silver was made and marked by 'em) called "Knowles & Son"
Seems a bit of a coincidence for there to be no relation, but then I don't know how common the name Knowles is in sheffield, maybe there was a very popular milkman with that surname :p If it's the same though, the maker was around in the 1800s. Sound likely? Course, this could be one of the sons - or one of the sons sons. Or one of the sons sons sons ;)

Though after that googling, there do seem to be a lot of "Knowles & Sons" - not in knifemaking, everywhere!

Pete

PS: Got a pic?

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
That is indeed them RCS. Like I said, the name has been worn away with sharpening and it was my poor aging eyes that led me to mistake Knowles for nowill.

Will post a pic of it once I figure out how to upload a pic in this.

Meanwhile.....getting my gear all sorted out for the springtime so that I can get outdoors again.

Once again gents - thanks for all your help.

Alan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE