help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

b1k3rwaif

Nov 1, 2005
HERTS
how do you start a fire with wire wool and a battery .

saw the componants in a kit and wondered if anyone know?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
If you use a pp9 battery, the small rectangular one with clips on top, you can just push it in to the wire wool and it will burst into flame. As simple as that! :D
Some wire wool works better than others nad be really careful how you transport it for obvious reasons! :eek:
Wire wool can be used as normal tinder too btw.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup,
Just like Goose says.
Finer wire wool works with lower voltage batteries, or big batteries that are partly discharged.
I used it for a firework display many years ago, taped some wire wool around the blue touch paper, ran some speaker wire for either side of it to one side of a PP9 and when the other wire touched the other terminal - whoosh - the scouts thought I was a wizard ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Using aa batteries I would use them parrallel with opposite pole next to each other(like you put two batteries in most things), then short across one end with a coin or similar, then push the opposite end into the wire wool. That should work, it is the wire wool burning as a fuse does rather than making sparks so I would be very wary of holding the wire wool against my leg as shown on that link!

b1k3rwaif

Nov 1, 2005
HERTS
someone on another board said .....
I saw a teacher of out door survival (Real old guy) put steel wool in under the wood then use a Spark from one of the magnesium fire starter things with the spark strike strip down the side.

i'll try this and let you know how it went

I played with a square 9 volt battery and extra fine wool last night. I took a small pad of the steel wool and wrapped that inside a wad of jute tinder. Ignition was instantanteous when the battery was pressed into the wool and with one blow it went up in flames with a whoosh.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
both ways work. from a battery and from a spark. very useful bit of knowledge in the urban environment during the aftermath of some sort of disaster.

It is a bit unpractical for bushcraft though unless you take the batteries and wire wool, most of use take some sort of battery out with us and i know some of you carry wire wool for scrubbing you dixies but i cant stand the bloody stuff in my kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE