Help me Identify this Mushroom

I would like to know what kind of mushroom it is and if it is safe to eat?

shroom1xa0.jpg

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
I'm no mushroom wiz kid, but if you could give a few more details, like where you found it, size, small, discolouration if damaged etc ...

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Looks like some kind of russula to me - however this is a huge family, with many edible and toxic members. As tonedef has already said, you probably need mroe info/pictures to makea full identification...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really am not very knowledgeable on fungi, however, Xylaria recently posted a link to a Canadian govt. website full of excellent id advice on fungi.......anyone bookmark it? or remember which thread it was in?

cheers,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Looks a bit like Russula nigricans in which case it wouldn't be poisonous but not worth eating. Would need more photos and preferably a couple more specimens.

Can you tell us more about the area it was found in?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks a bit like Russula nigricans in which case it wouldn't be poisonous but not worth eating. Would need more photos and preferably a couple more specimens.

Can you tell us more about the area it was found in?

In the light of day I say you were alot closer than the twadle I said. Russulas are nearly impossible to ID from photos, as smell, taste, and spore colour are more important. Nigrans discolours when damaged. R. delica smells fruity to fishy with white spores and R. pallidospora smells fruity but has darker gills and darker spores than delica. I have no idea if you get any of these across the pond.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE