Help me identify these plants

Aug 6, 2013
Cambridge, UK
I have these two plants in my back yard.

I think this one is a black currant:
2rp73tu.jpg
2nbr0p1.jpg

I think this might be a goose berry:
wm1etd.jpg
2ihtdte.jpg

But I want to check that they're edible before I start picking too many!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum.

Yes, and yes.
Blackcurrants are easy to tell; the leaves smell of blackcurrant too.
Gooseberries have thorns and inside the berry there are soft seeds covered in 'jelly'.

What has happened to the leaves on your plants though ? I struggle to see the fruit under the foliage on mine.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hello :) and welcome to the forum.

Yes, and yes.
Blackcurrants are easy to tell; the leaves smell of blackcurrant too.
Gooseberries have thorns and inside the berry there are soft seeds covered in 'jelly'.

What has happened to the leaves on your plants though ? I struggle to see the fruit under the foliage on mine.

cheers,
Toddy

+1 for ident.

You could make a lovely gooseberry and blackcurrant crumble for tea/supper.

Aug 6, 2013
Cambridge, UK
+1 for ident.

You could make a lovely gooseberry and blackcurrant crumble for tea/supper.

Do you have a recipe?

The leaves were like that when I moved in; I've only been in this house a month. It was vacant for a while before, so I assume that they're in bad shape due to neglect. At least there are lots of good currants and goose berries!

Thanks for the help with the ID!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do you have a recipe?

The leaves were like that when I moved in; I've only been in this house a month. It was vacant for a while before, so I assume that they're in bad shape due to neglect. At least there are lots of good currants and goose berries!

Thanks for the help with the ID!

500g/1lb gooseberries and blackcurrants, topped and tailed
85g/3oz. golden caster sugar
175g/6oz plain flour
75g/2.5oz demerara sugar
85g/3oz salted butter, chilled
Some oats to sprinkle on top - optional.

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.Toss the gooseberries and blackcurrants with the caster sugar, spread in the bottom of a medium ovenproof baking dish with 2 tbsp water.
  2. To make the crumble, put the flour, butter and a big pinch of salt in a bowl. Rub together with your fingertips until you have a rough breadcrumb texture. Mix in the demerera sugar.
  3. Scatter the crumble topping evenly over the gooseberries and oats if you like too. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until top is pale golden and crunchy and the gooseberries bubbling. You can also give the crumble a quick flash under a hot grill to give the top an extra browning if you like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE