Help. Hawk handle advice

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ok, so I traded my hawk and now regret it... So I have commissioned a new one from a well known maker on here. As this is gonna be a keeper, I want the handle to be a bit special.. Would purple heart make a good handle?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Your gonna tell me just to try it aren't you...... I should have added, the hawk is going to be small, bout the same size as a GB mini belt axe.....

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
You can use many different woods in a longbow lamination because they are sandwiched between fiberglass. What's wrong with using something traditional like ash or hickory? It's supposed to be a tool to use isn't it?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You can use many different woods in a longbow lamination because they are sandwiched between fiberglass. What's wrong with using something traditional like ash or hickory? It's supposed to be a tool to use isn't it?

Not in an English longbow. No fibre glass allowed. It may be paired with osage orange, ash, hickory, box wood or bamboo amongst others.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

Nothing wrong with ash hickory etc, I have both sat here. Just fancied something a little flash (I also have the purple heart sat here) along with yew, oak, cherry etc

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
I have used ash heartwood for knife handles. It is a lovely caramel brown colour and looks great especially if you leave a bit of sapwood on for contrast.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You know I been wondering the same thing! Still trying to decide on one of your Purple Heart blocks and thinking of a matching Hawk handle for this..... Was gonna do blade in matching Apple but maybe Purple heart would be real cool
buddminihawk.jpg

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I suggest plum if you have it or can find some. I think it makes a lovely handle material.

Nor sure about purple heart. But I don't see a reason why not.

Andy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
;@) got enough purple heart for that handle i would think......

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I have some experience with purperheart, and if I have to tell you one thing you are gonna get a lot of feedback through your handle as it is a very hard and stiff wood, but perhaps laminating it with a somewhat more forgiving wood might solve that problem.
Although I dont know about the effect of laminating with the handle of an axe? is that allowable guys with a good D3 glue? as you wouldnt want you handle to come apart ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE