Help guidance longbow

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Hi

I'm thinking at having a go at making a longbow. Can anyone recommend a bow making book, a website or anything else.

I was looking at pre-made staves to start with which just requires finishing off before moving on to a scratch built longbow.

Any help or guidance would greatly received.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
The Bowyer's Bible series (there are currently four vols with a fifth being discussed) is very good. Also good is "The Traditional Archer's Handbook" by Hilary Greenland, and maybe "The Bent Stick" by Paul Comstock (not longbows but very good to get started with).

I can also heartily recommend the Primitive Archer website, magazine (digital or paper, very cheap!), and free web forum. They are very very helpful and supportive, with endless free advice etc.

After that you could always sign up for a course, there are lots around from cheap to expensive, but you get what you pay for :)

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I like the Pip Bickerstaffe book, The Heritage of the Longbow. Has great info on Laminate bow making but the shaping of self bows and laminate bows is the same which is also covered well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE