Help from the paddlers please- Opinions

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Okay, posting here 'cos I don't want to clog up SOTP by joining just to ask a Q. I know lots of you paddlers are also on SOTP.

I'm very interested in cheap(ish) inflatables. We had a Sevylor Hudson which TBH was very good but I broke it when 3 up attacking the 8' surf on hols in Cornwall :nono:

Does anyone have experience (1st hand or otherwise) of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-or-1-Man-Inflatable-Kayak-199-Upgraded-Model_W0QQitemZ270533360188QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_CanoesKayaks_Rafts_SM?hash=item3efd0b7a3c

They claim to be based on the Sevylor SVX200, which I'm taking to mean it's a copy! The videos posted on youtube by the seller seem quite cautious when he's demonstrating it's ability to withstand a knife attack! :lmao:

I know an inflatable has limitations, but I want to know whether these particular ones are any good.

All comments welcomed

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I'm not up on this type of inflatable but if the material is of good quality the price is good.

On the other hand I can highly recommend the Gumotex 'Safari' inflatable. It is a superb piece of kit! I've owned the earlier model for eight years without any issues except a wet bottom as you sit directly on the floor. Easily cured by wearing waterproofs.

www.gumotex.cz

Have a look coz there is quite a range now. Prices were £300- ish for the Safari (long time ago!)

I hope this helps as I've had a lot of fun in mine exploring where my little fishing boat will not go.:D

Swyn.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Do you have a Decathlon near you 'cos I think they are both available to take away from their stores, may be cheaper too? Certainly no carriage if you can pick up.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The seller has a 100% Positive Feedback and has sold 15 of the kayaks, as an indicator, its a good one!

Although I have two inflatables, they are completely different to this type, but having looked at the boat photo's, spec' and price, I'd feel confident about buying one as a new, affordable, 2 seat inflatable.

Don't be put off by the thought of tears in the fabric, there's a You Tube video of Sheri Tingey repairing (using the standard repair kit) an Alpacka Raft which has been shredded by a bear!

It looked like Edward Scissor Hands had attacked it, yet Sheri got it usable again!
happy0034.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZxoF9dUsUE

Jul 3, 2010
petersfield
anyone know of a stockist in south of uk who stock Gumotex Safari and prepared to let one try it out to see if it suits? Many thanks, Frank.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Hi,

Last summer I bought a stearns back country canoe from http://www.adventuresuppliesuk.com/ but it looks like they have been rebranded as it is now called the Advanced Elements Straight Edge Canoe from the same suppliers. I took it out on loch lomond for a 3 days trip - big mistake as the seams leaked leaving us stuck on an island. I bought this one based on the recommendation of the store over the sevylor colorado, when i contacted the seller he said "oh yeah, we have heard a few reports of this happening this year" and gave us a full refund. If you are on a tight budget i would suggest the sevylor colorado, having seen this i know if i had bought that instead of the stearns my trip wouldn't have been ruined. A friend has bought the tahiti and absolutely loves it, he has the canoe bug big time now but it looks so cheap I am not sure I could trust it to do anything other than gentle rivers, i certainly wouldn't go out on a loch on one.

I have no affiliation with the store but they did seem the cheapest at the time and i did an awful lot of searching as i was on a budget. Whatever you get check it over thoroughly, test it out somewhere safe and if you can see one in the flesh before you part with your cash.

Hope you have better luck than i did, our experience put us completely off inflatables and without the funds or space needed for a proper canoe means we will have to hire a canoe if we ever go again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE