Help changing to a natral health diet?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
You lot seem to have a fairly healthy diet so I’m looking for suggestions since been told by the Dr’s no more Alcohol, Caffeine, Fatty foods or Acidic foods so beside living off porridge oats with hot water has anyone got any good breakfast, lunch Dinner recipes for a not very adventurous eater?

I'm looking for easy fish recipes (without bones which always put me off fish in the past) or other more healthy meats like rabbit. turkey Ect... rather than my lifetime friend of pork and bacon butties and living out of a frying pan for 80% of meals.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can still live out of the frying pan........just make sure it's a damned good nonstick one :)
Better still is a good non stick deep frying pan with a heavy glass lid that turns it into a steaming or stewing pan too.
(Morrison's are selling one this week for a fiver)

Joking aside, I'm serious. If that kind of crisped and roasted flavour is what really appeals to your palate then find ways to have it but without the extra grease. Otherwise you'll just backslide :sigh:

A nonstick pan will cook your fish for you, or a bit of beef ham, or pork chops with the fat taken off, bacon medallions or slices of haloumi cheese, or an egg white omelette, with no bother at all and without adding any extra oil.

The egg white omelette can be folded over veggies which have been cut small and roasted in the same pan too....courgette, brocolli, peppers, carrots, peas (one of the freezer bags of small pieces for microwave steaming work well)...don't know what veggies you're able to, or like to eat, but there's a huge range available, season it to suit yourself. Slice of toast or a buttie, and there's the breakfast you crave. You can get low fat turkey bacon too.

Baked potatoes are simplicity itself with a microwave, and the fillings can be anything from salady stuff to baked beans.
Low fat coleslaw's good, well I like it, and it doesn't need any butter or cheese added :) Filling tasty food.

Rice is good, and it's available ready to nuke if you don't like cooking it. Much cheaper to do you own, but the ready made is very quick and simple. Add veggies, or roasted chicken (the nonstick pan again :) ). Smoked fish works well too, though it's usually smoked mackeral, and that can be a bit oily...maybe in moderation though ? Haddock ?
Do you fish ? a stuffed trout baked is a very good filling meal :)

Cous cous is again very quick and it's easy to add things to as well. From veggies to meat.

I like oats, and I can eat them again :D so the girdle's on the cooker again :cool: Oatcakes, tattie scones, girdle scones, pancakes; these are all cooked pretty much dry on the girdle, but mind thon nonstick frying pan ? well it works well for these too :) Bodge's Staffordshire oatcake recipe makes a thing like a kind of oatie nan bread, well worth a try :)

I like stew, I like big chunks of veggies in gravy; and if I can manage to make it tasty, and I'm a vegetarian, then surely someone who likes meat can.

Meat of any kind, turkey, pork, chicken, stewing steak, etc.,cut into suitable sizes and stir fried in the non stick pan (maybe a quick squirt of onecal spray), add chunks of veggies, stir, add stock, cover with the heavy lid and turn the heat down low. Let it simmer until it's all cooked and tasty. If you want to thicken the jus add a little seasoned cornflour in water and stir well.

The trick I'm told is to find ways to cook food you like, taste and texture, without adding fat or oil or extra carbs. Otherwise the vast majority of folks backslide and revert to their old eating patterns. Worth while thinking about portion size too; one buttie and a mug of tea is enough, don't make two or three.

If you like butties, then find a way to fill them without adding fat. The buttie itself is only about 120 calories, it's what you put in it that adds to the running total.

Very best of luck with this; it's so easy to say," Do this! ", but it's damned hard to stick to it for life.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What's wrong with couscous ? :dunno:
It's tasty, quick and easy to prepare and it's good with a lot of things :)
Makes really good camp food too.

It's not like I gave him a recipe to make wholemeal pastry for a quiche :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Jun 10, 2011
Reading, Berkshire
Check out modern interpretations of the paleo diet - www.marksdailyapple.com for example.

It's been a little over a year since I changed my diet and lifestyle and the results for me have been nothing short of incredible. Healthwise, things improved enormously 24 hours after starting. The weight loss was just the beginning. I'd definitely recommend a look at this if you are concerned about lack of energy, excess weight, blood pressure and sleep problems.

HTH.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You lot seem to have a fairly healthy diet so I’m looking for suggestions since been told by the Dr’s no more Alcohol, Caffeine, Fatty foods or Acidic foods so beside living off porridge oats with hot water has anyone got any good breakfast, lunch Dinner recipes for a not very adventurous eater?

I'm looking for easy fish recipes (without bones which always put me off fish in the past) or other more healthy meats like rabbit. turkey Ect... rather than my lifetime friend of pork and bacon butties and living out of a frying pan for 80% of meals.

Healthy diets? camping? Yep all the way for me apart from curry, stew, fried breakfast, fried steaks, fried chops, fried bread, fried bannock, meatballs, pasta, jam, marmalade, sweetened condensed milk, apart from that very health concious.

Don't do couscous, its the sort of food you feed a pet rabbit you don't like.

You say " no more Alcohol, Caffeine, Fatty foods or Acidic foods" first thing to do is either get a second opinion or ask for a referral to a dietician. No Doctor blanket bans food in this day and age without offering help and support because without some support the likelihood is you will fail.

Look for extra help, we can't really give you any as we lack the knowledge required, when you sort out in a realistic way what you can and can't eat and the amounts then we can perhaps share recipe ideas with you.

Good look and get back to us with more information as you get it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't get this anti couscous thing :confused:

I fed my pet rabbits on porage and veggie peelings. They thrived.

Otherwise, what Richard said.

cheers,
Toddy

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Thanks for all the help and ideas so far.

The reason for the diet change is I’ve developed stress related IBS due to being in a job I hate and after badgering my Dr for a 4th time they finally did blood test and also found there’s something up with my liver at present as well so been told to keep away from food that triggers the IBS and steer clear of alcohol until they can work out what is going on with my liver.

Must admit due to the illness lost 8 lbs already but I can think of nicer ways to loose weight.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Couscous is supposed to be eaten drenched in a spicy stew of onions, carottes, courgettes, tomatoes, celery, olive oil & chick peas served with either grilled merguez (spicy mutton & beef sausages) or/and cubes of beef & chicken drumsticks,(preferably cooked in the stew)
Couscous is very bland by itself.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just cook it in a savoury stock and add roasted veggies :D

It's tasty and easy.

I can't eat wheat these days and I miss it, but I make skirlie instead or the corn version.

Grendel have they advised you to go gluten free ?
and have you a recommendation to a dietician ? because IBS is really is best managed with the help of a good one.

cheers,
Toddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What's wrong with couscous ? :dunno:
Makes really good camp food...

I dunno either. It's my main, er, stock of carbohydrate when I'm camping.

One can of garden peas, one can of sliced carrots, one can of corned beef, one Oxo cube and about a quarter of a jar of Hot Spicy Mango Chutney, oh, and I nearly forgot, a cup of cous-cous.

Throw the whole lot into a military Trangia. Bring to the boil or until it sets solid, whichever happens first. Stir as often as you can remember. Eat.

Large bottle of water recommended as a chaser. :)

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Well things have changed but not for the better.
They have since found I have gallstone so want to remove the gallbladder and I’m trying a low fibre & low fat diet (white bread, chicken ECT) since having to run to the carzy every time I eat is no longer funny.

Must admit I’m still hesitant about a camping trip at the weekend with a bunch of biker friend if the guts are still playing up.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well things have changed but not for the better.
They have since found I have gallstone so want to remove the gallbladder and I’m trying a low fibre & low fat diet (white bread, chicken ECT) since having to run to the carzy every time I eat is no longer funny.

Must admit I’m still hesitant about a camping trip at the weekend with a bunch of biker friend if the guts are still playing up.

Have they checked you for Crohn's Disease?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...You say " no more Alcohol, Caffeine, Fatty foods or Acidic foods" first thing to do is either get a second opinion or ask for a referral to a dietician. No Doctor blanket bans food in this day and age without offering help and support because without some support the likelihood is you will fail.

Look for extra help, we can't really give you any as we lack the knowledge required, when you sort out in a realistic way what you can and can't eat and the amounts then we can perhaps share recipe ideas with you...

+1 on this. It's the best advise we can realistically give. Especially once they've sorted out more precisely what your malady is.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
no more Alcohol, Caffeine, Fatty foods or Acidic foods
Sounds like THE standard advise any Dr. under any circumstance would give without even considering the illness. Stomageproblems?

First of all I am NO Dr. nor do I have any kind of medical knowledge, but I walked this road for many years. I suggest you get a second, maybe even a third opinion, preferably from different fields in medicine. Ask a dietist, who knows natural/biological foods, maybe a homeopathical therapeutist. Anyone who can give a different angle than your standard Dr. for they are not allways impartial and sometimes tend to lean towards the pharmaceutical interests instead of the patients....
This way you might be able to keep a comfortable standard of living AND eating and help you get over your medical conditions!

Good luck!!

Edit;
when I was posting this, all those previous posts weren't visible???
So I guess my post is an unnecessary one....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE