Hello/I'm new around here/Anyone know of any good places to get wood in Herts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hello!

My name isn't Simon, incidentally; I post on other (non-related) forums under a derivative of my real name, so a weak attempt to prevent the sinister overlords of the internet from hunting me down was in order...

Anyway, I'm really a slightly overgrown boy whittler getting back into all this. So far I've made a couple of woggles (and 30 half-made ones for my Scout Troop to use...) from some wood I was fortunate enough to glean from gardening for a friend. I'd like to have a go at kuksas/spoons/etc, though... I'll be needing an axe, and some more knives, and some money (got to love unemployment...), but I thought I'd ask, as it would be good to know if nothing else...

Toodle pip!

James

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hello Simon/James. Good to have you here.

Don't know about Herts, but there are plenty of online suppliers of wood for crafts/carving/turning. Have a look on Google. A few people on here (including myself) have been known to trade wood bits too, and no, that wasn't a hint.

You can also try finding local tree surgeons and suchlike who may be happy to offload a few bits your way, and I find commercial orchards quite handy, as they often give nice chunks of pruned apple away (they would burn it otherwise) if you ask nicely and maybe buy some fruit.

After windy weather, foraging your own is perfectly possible too, but don't cut living wood.

And most of all, remember to post up pictures of your efforts for us to admire :)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Welcome along SimonMast. There's plenty I folks in your area, and one or two meets too. Why don't you have a look in the 'meets' section and see if you can join in?

All the best!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum James :cool:

As for wood in Hertfordshire whereabouts are you and have you seen any tree surgeons at work in your area? :)

With regards knives on a tight budget have a look at the hultfor knife from heinne haynes

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hello and welcome!

Thanks!

Hello Simon/James. Good to have you here.

Don't know about Herts, but there are plenty of online suppliers of wood for crafts/carving/turning. Have a look on Google. A few people on here (including myself) have been known to trade wood bits too, and no, that wasn't a hint.

You can also try finding local tree surgeons and suchlike who may be happy to offload a few bits your way, and I find commercial orchards quite handy, as they often give nice chunks of pruned apple away (they would burn it otherwise) if you ask nicely and maybe buy some fruit.

After windy weather, foraging your own is perfectly possible too, but don't cut living wood.

And most of all, remember to post up pictures of your efforts for us to admire :)

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to give those a go... I need to learn what some trees look like, though! What a n00b. :D

I do get the distinct impression that there are people that do go out into the woods and hack trees up, but however sympathetic, it's no less worthy of a charge of criminal damage, I would think?

Anyway, as requested, a couple of pictures of my creations so far. The first ones came from a (dead) piece of a 40 year old rose bush that I pruned. I only really like the one to the right (probably my favourite so far), which is the one I made for my wife, thusly securing my romantic credentials! The other came from a little sapling which had to be taken out of the same garden. Not sure what it is. Reasonably pleased with it, though.

hi and welcome.

Thanks!

Welcome along SimonMast. There's plenty I folks in your area, and one or two meets too. Why don't you have a look in the 'meets' section and see if you can join in?

All the best!

Thanks - Will do!

Hello and welcome to the forum James :cool:

As for wood in Hertfordshire whereabouts are you and have you seen any tree surgeons at work in your area? :)

With regards knives on a tight budget have a look at the hultfor knife from heinne haynes

Hi, and thanks! I'm in Stevenage, though I grew up in Letchworth. There do seem to be a few around here. Some calls are in order, I think. As for the knife, thanks for that. Out of interest, how would you rate it against the ubiquitous Mora Clipper, or my Opinel 8? I have my eye on a BG Little Whittler, but that'll have to wait!!

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Can I not edit my post? Anyway, the pics I forgot to put in the other post. With due trepidation in comparison to the magnificent pieces I've already seen here!!

DSCF5753.jpg

DSCF5791.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi, and thanks! I'm in Stevenage, though I grew up in Letchworth. There do seem to be a few around here. Some calls are in order, I think. As for the knife, thanks for that. Out of interest, how would you rate it against the ubiquitous Mora Clipper, or my Opinel 8? I have my eye on a BG Little Whittler, but that'll have to wait!!

Seems to be a fair few people Stevenage way :)

As for comparing the hultfors against a clipper they're more or less equal :)

Against an opie it depends on what you're doing... fine light work the opie does have a bit of an edge but heavyweight hard work and it loses against the clipper or hultfors :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE