Hello from USA Outdoor Writer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Camel6

Dec 1, 2013
United States
Greetings all,

I am an outdoor writer in the US currently preparing a Bushcrafter knife story for American Pioneer magazine. I am also a knifemaker, avid hunter/fisherman and Eagle Scout. Please feel to reach out to me if you have any input on bushcraft as a tradition/discipline generally, and knives specifically.

Many thanks and stay safe,

Camel6

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome Camel - there is a lot of competition around here for who has the second finest bushcraft knife (clearly mine is the absolute pinnacle of the art but I allow others to squabble about whose is next ;))

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Greetings all,

I am an outdoor writer in the US currently preparing a Bushcrafter knife story for American Pioneer magazine. I am also a knifemaker, avid hunter/fisherman and Eagle Scout. Please feel to reach out to me if you have any input on bushcraft as a tradition/discipline generally, and knives specifically.

Many thanks and stay safe,

Camel6

I don't see bushcraft as a discipline more a combination of traditional methods used when out camping and a knife is a good camping tool. Many grown men are still Schoolboys at heart and the 're-enactment' side of bushcraft appeals to many and why not, its good fun but lets not get all obi wan kenobi about it lol.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I don't see bushcraft as a discipline more a combination of traditional methods used when out camping and a knife is a good camping tool. Many grown men are still Schoolboys at heart and the 're-enactment' side of bushcraft appeals to many and why not, its good fun but lets not get all obi wan kenobi about it lol.

The definitive definition, Rik:)

Welcome, Camel6. Possibly because here in the UK we're rarely more than a few miles from Civilisation, and don't have bears, wolves, mountain lions, scorpions, Black Widows, Brown Recluses, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, alligators, deserts or Alaska temperatures to worry about etc, we probably have fewer concerns about the survival aspects of bushcrafting than our colonial colleagues. Hence the general preference for Woodlore-style/size knives rather than the much larger survival knives favoured in the US for example. Also, pragmatically, a smaller knife is much easier to carry, and therefore more likely to be with you. And if you need to chop wood, then a saw and/or axe is a better tool for that job anyway:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE