Hello from Reading

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RG30something

Jun 23, 2020
Reading, Berks
Hey guys and girls,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. Full disclosure, I have a feeling I joined a couple of years ago with a different long gone email address and only posted once or twice.

I'm 38 years old, from Reading, as per the title. Very interested in bushcraft and wild camping and have been for years now, although my opportunities to practice are extremely limited and generally restricted to camping once a year at somewhere like Lone Wolf down in Neath. I do try and get out to the woods with my son as often as I can but living in Reading, actually practicing any bushcraft can be difficult. For instance you can't (and therefore I won't) set a campfire or camp out overnight, although I would be tempted to try a solo overnighter if I can find a suitable spot. Unfortunately round here most of the nearby spots are frequented by ne'er do wells of an evening so I'd be a bit reluctant to try anywhere too close to civilisation!

I'm really here to learn as much as I can from you more experienced guys and hopefully, this will galvanize me to go out and practice some more bushcraft. I've already thoroughly enjoyed reading a few threads on knot tying and making cordage so I can tell I will learn a great deal (and I have a lot to learn :) ). Also found the thread on asking a landowners permission to use their land really useful and will hopefully put some of the ideas into practice to find myself a spot.

Looking forward to getting involved and hopefully contributing in my own small way.

Cheers,
Nathan

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Unfortunately round here most of the nearby spots are frequented by ne'er do wells of an evening so I'd be a bit reluctant to try anywhere too close to civilisation!

Welcome Nathan.

I used to live in Rotherwick (South of Reading) - surrounded by woodlands and farms that were rarely frequented (25+ years ago) - an oasis in the middle of a busy area. The farmers down there at the time were quite happy for me to camp and spend time in the woods but I did make the effort to get to know them first (down the pub or similar).

RG30something

Jun 23, 2020
Reading, Berks
Welcome Nathan.

I used to live in Rotherwick (South of Reading) - surrounded by woodlands and farms that were rarely frequented (25+ years ago) - an oasis in the middle of a busy area. The farmers down there at the time were quite happy for me to camp and spend time in the woods but I did make the effort to get to know them first (down the pub or similar).

That's very heartening to hear. I am trying to find, and build up the courage to approach, some landowners nearby for permission to camp on their land. I have taken the template for requesting permission from this site and amended it slightly but I feel that getting to know someone (ideally in a pub) would be a much better way of assuring them of your bona fides. I guess I need to start frequenting pubs where farmers drink (not many of those near me as I am quite close to the town centre.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome.

Might be worth while having a look around and seeing what kind of ranger services there are in your area. Though they're 'country' based, they do deal with parklands too.
They run things like badger watch and take groups out to see if they can spot and listen to bats, build bird boxes, fungal forays, etc.,
They'll have a website with a calendar of activities. Usually very seasonal.
It's a good way to make yourself familiar with, and to, the folks who know folks, iimmc ? to get to know the land around you.
It's an interesting way to get involved without any hassle, to quietly pick up a lot of information, and it can be an enjoyable way to appreciate what lives around us even in suburbia.

M

RG30something

Jun 23, 2020
Reading, Berks
Hello :) and welcome.

Might be worth while having a look around and seeing what kind of ranger services there are in your area. Though they're 'country' based, they do deal with parklands too.
They run things like badger watch and take groups out to see if they can spot and listen to bats, build bird boxes, fungal forays, etc.,
They'll have a website with a calendar of activities. Usually very seasonal.
It's a good way to make yourself familiar with, and to, the folks who know folks, iimmc ? to get to know the land around you.
It's an interesting way to get involved without any hassle, to quietly pick up a lot of information, and it can be an enjoyable way to appreciate what lives around us even in suburbia.

M

Thank you very much. I will do that. I'd certainly enjoy getting involved in that type of thing, even if it doesn't lead to any headway on finding a place to camp!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE