Hello from Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frenchy

Sep 4, 2016
Norway
Hello all.
I am new to the bushcraft scene and looking forward to exploring the forum. I am a Brit living in Norway and recently started becoming more interested in bushcraft and thought this would be a good place to start. I am planning a canoe trip next year and have some planning to do.

Frenchy

Sep 4, 2016
Norway
Thank you all for the welcome. Bopdude, I live in Kristiansund which is located in the Møre and romsdal district.

Trotsky

Hello all.
I am new to the bushcraft scene and looking forward to exploring the forum. I am a Brit living in Norway and recently started becoming more interested in bushcraft and thought this would be a good place to start. I am planning a canoe trip next year and have some planning to do.

Welcome! I was going to try welcoming you in rather spotty Norwegian, then I realised you're a Brit and that I've forgotten most of what I learnt about writing Norwegian, particularly the dialect I learned. Oh well!
So how did you come to be in that part of the world?

Frenchy

Sep 4, 2016
Norway
I am currently studying the language now, hand gestures and puzzled looks can only go so far 😂. I worked offshore for a while and learnt about Norway through that, so I fancied a change. My trade allows me to travel a bit with a few adjustment in the regs.

Trotsky

I am currently studying the language now, hand gestures and puzzled looks can only go so far ��. I worked offshore for a while and learnt about Norway through that, so I fancied a change. My trade allows me to travel a bit with a few adjustment in the regs.

Are you doing the Norske skole? I had to do 300 hours of that about 11 years ago, quite an interesting experience being with other immigrants from many different places. I hope the place works out better for you than it did for me, I returned to the devil I know best after 3 winters in the Arctic. You'll never be short of things to see that's for sure! I could recommend so many things and places to see at the drop of a hat.

Frenchy

Sep 4, 2016
Norway
Yes, it's something I always wanted to do and you get a different perspective when living abroad. What did you do while in Norway? Would be good to hear about some of those places.

Trotsky

Yes, it's something I always wanted to do and you get a different perspective when living abroad. What did you do while in Norway? Would be good to hear about some of those places.

I worked with my dad installing and maintaining newspaper printing presses in Norway and Denmark. We drove from Harstad in the north down both Sweden and Norway many times. Odda is a nice little town if you get chance to visit with an old hydro plant turned museum just down the road. You get some great views on the drive in if you come over one of the mountain passes. We came in via Hardanger Fjell, in convoy with the plough in the last week of April. That's the area where the "Heroes of Telemark" hid out from the Nazis and is also where they filmed the battle of Hoth scenes from Star Wars. If you head into Telemark you can find the old hydro plant where the heavy water plant used to be, you can then follow the route of the railway down to Tinnsjøen and see the train ferries where one was sunk to keep the heavy water out of German hands. If you drive around like we did (rather than fly everywhere like the natives) you see lots more, the Stavekirke are great and I vividly recall coming down the E6 south of Salt Fjell and watching a stream become a raging torrent as it dropped 1000 metres towards I think Mo I Rana, what caught my eye was it's colour, it was like liquid Sapphire. Maybe it was the light coming off the snow and such like, not sure I'll ever know.
If you get far enough north you can visit the Adolfkanonen, the world's largest land based gun, built as part of the Atlantic wall in WWII. You can also visit the war grave in the nearby church where lay hundreds of POWs from the eastern front who build the gun emplacements. In fact if you've roamed that far north you will have passed along the Blodveien, a section of the E6 that along with the railway up to Bodo was built using slave labour by the Nazis. The bodies of many are still under the road and there are memorials all along the road side, some official and others carved by comrades of the fallen after it happened.
If you get up to Tromso (as far north as I made it) there's quite a few things to see, including The Polar Museum which has Roald Amundsen's ship on display as I recall. At that point north you're also at the focal point for the Aurora Borealis, head inland away from the city lights and if you're lucky you'll get quite a display.

That's just what I can recall off the cuff now, not even dented what's up there.

Frenchy

Sep 4, 2016
Norway
I have been down south a bit but nothing father north than where I live. Most of my time has been spent working and find it hard to get out a lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE