Hello from Manchester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Just wanted to say a quick hello here to the Northern members.

I'm just getting into bushcraft after a longstanding but passive interest in it (in other words I'm a rookie), but I spent a lot of time as a child camping and messing about so it should all come naturally. Cobbling together bits of budget kit atm, but I'm hoping that before long I'll be able to commit to a few of the meets being organised at Giants Wood, if they'll have me :)

I'm based in Manchester city centre, so a big Hi in particular to the guys in the G.M.B.G - I've been reading a couple of posts from you all and it's very encouraging to know there's people local to me who I can get support from!

Also, if anybody's got some good suggestions for any patches of quiet woodland I can go just during the days to practice skills without being bothered toooooo much by walkers & such, I'd really appreciate it. I've been scouring the net/google maps for somewhere good, but the choice seems very limited so close to the big stinking city :<

Cheers,

Max

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hey Max,
I only got into bushcraft a few months ago. The Manchester guys are awesome and so helpful, its a little worrying to begin with. As for looking for woodland, welcome to the club. Not much around. If you find any, let me know. I'm down in Fallowfield.

You should head to the Middlewood meet on the 15-16th Feb. Ten times easier to get to than Giants Seat for a first meet, and it looks to be a good one!

Oh, and im the kind of guy to give away any kit I don't use, so if you need something, just ask.

Good to have you around mate!

Originaltrav

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2013
Oldham
Hi there
Park Bridge on the Oldham /Ashton border has a few small but adequate places to practice , me and my 2 sons go for cheeky overnight hangs with no problems .
Cheers

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Max

You would be surprised just how close to the city centre the open country is. I know of a couple of places within easy walking distance, and lots of places further away. I've found Roe deer tracks about three miles from the city centre.

There's a meet at Middlewood Scout Camp in Worsley next weekend, see the thread in Out and About.

Alan

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Thanks for the warm welcome chaps :D

Originaltrav cheers for the suggestion, I'm quite surprised as the Park Bridge area you mentioned seems very built up (on google maps anyway). Perhaps it's more secluded when you're physically there at ground level lol. Are there any public transport links near to that? I don't have a car :<

What are people's experiences of firelighting and such around Manchester? I've done a lot of research about the "illegality" of wild camping and firelighting and such, but well we've got to practise somewhere eh?! I'm just a bit concerned as we're so close to the Peak District and I understand that making fires on Peat soil is a big no-no. Where does the peat stop, is there any way to tell just by looking around?

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Max

Once you get to the lowlands around Manchester, the landscape is mainly Drift sands, Boulder clay or riverine sediments, and are mostly fire safe (apart from surface vegetation or detritus deposits). The best clue to the presence of peat soil is from the map. If an area is marked as a "Moss", e.g. Chat Moss or Lindow Moss, then it's 99% certain it's peat.

Apart from the high-level Pennine blanket bogs, (also called Mosses), most of the peat lands are to the west and south of Manchester.

If you're going to Middlewood this weekend, we could meet up and I'll go over the maps with you, and give you some ideas where to go to practice.

Alan

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Useful to know Alan, thanks!

Unfortunately I won't be coming to my first meet until at least march/early april, as I'm currently spending most of my spare time looking for a slightly more bearable job, hence why I'm mainly interested in finding day-visit sites to go and learn the basics. But I appreciate it, as soon as I can attend you'll have a map and crayon shoved into your hand :)

Goyt Valley looks very nice and wooded on googlemaps - does it see much dogwalking? The Mrs and I have walked north from New Mills up to Marple before, but it all seemed very boxed in by industrial sites and people's gardens :O How about the south route instead?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi and Welcome

You would be most welcome to our next meat at Giants Seat, we are planning a couple of demonstrations too so would be a good time to get down and meet a few new people, there is a train station near the site (ish about a mile away....or so i'm reliable informed)

We love meeting new folk that share our interests, I hope to have a brew around the fire with you soon.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE