Hello from Ireland (knife content)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 7, 2016
Ireland
Hello,

In the past few months, I've taken to putting handles on hidden tang knives. I saw some really beautiful ones in the forum and you seem like a nice bunch so I thought I'd make an account and join in a bit.
I haven't done many yet. Here's my first one:
ePmvUNg.jpg
Ol1NbWT.jpg

It's a lot of small pieces stacked (the blade is a 10cm Karesuando carbon). The ludicrous little Newgrange carvings were just added at the end as an experiment. I never had any intention of using this knife.

Then, this one. Another Karesuando 10cm carbon. This time I played with vinegar-etching the blade. The handle is ash and yew
L7Vwlbd.jpg

and the most recent one.
jEEwgiq.jpg

(not properly sharpened at the time of taking the photograph)
I wanted a small knife for food stuff in camp. The fact is, I usually use my Opinel folder for that and it works great, but I pretended it was somehow inadequate so I could excuse owning another knife. The handle is reindeer antler and yew and this time the experiment was scrimshaw.

One thing I struggle with a lot is the brass. I don't like high polish so I go to about 400 and that's perfect for me but then, once it's on the knife and all glued up, I'll inevitably scratch it as I'm shaping the wood on the handle and I've to resand the bolster with the blade in the way. It's frustrating but I'm determined to get it right next time. I have a Lauri leuku blade waiting for a handle so I'm just trying to decide what wood to use, although I have a funny feeling it'll be the yew again. It's just too nice and I've a big of it :D
Also, waiting on some leather supplies so I can learn how to make sheaths.

So, that's me.

- Ciaran

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2016
Ireland
Ignore this. I'm just testing to see if my account is working. I've been getting some quirky little error messages.
To try and make it worthwhile, here's a photo of the leuku blade I'll be putting a handle on next
eldhjkY.jpg

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Lovely stuff! 👍
Love the contrast on the Ash/Yew .
Also the ergonomics on the handles look very good.
I bet the reindeer one is really comfortable, especially for using it in reverse, I could see that on a carving blade...

All great work bud!👍👍 look forward to seeing the leuku

Jul 7, 2016
Ireland
Thanks everybody!

welcome aboard :)
Yew is my favourite for making knife handles too, it's beautiful stuff!

yeah, it really is. Really tough and the heartwood grain is amazing.
The (slight) problem is that I'd like to experiment with other woods but I've got this bag of yew, a bit of cedar (enough for one handle), some ash that's been drying for about a year and that's about it. I don't want to buy anything that's even remotely close to being endangered, so I feel like my next knife handle will probably just be the yew again. It has me spoiled.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE