Hello from Edinburgh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chillistarr

Apr 24, 2012
Edinburgh
Morning all. Just thought I'd check in, been lurking for a while, getting my bearings so to speak, and loving all the fantastic info on here. Hope to learn much, much more as time goes by, and when the odd thing pops up that I know something about, looking forward to being able to share and spread the knowledge. Communication is what I do for a living, science related and more specifically astronomy, I can be found by day at the Royal Observatory Edinburgh, where I run a couple of astronomy outreach projects, do a bit of PR and general bits and bobs at the Visitor Centre. I was lucky enough to grow up in one of the less populated bits of Southern Scotland and went through the whole Scout system from Beavers onwards, and still feel at home when surrounded by greenery. Though I'm currently stuck in Edinburgh, I still enjoy escaping now and then for a bit of camping (tends towards the slightly-more-comfortable side to keep the wife happy (without going full-on Glamp!), but when I get to escape alone it it a little more basic. I love chillis, used to grow them when I had more space, now it tends to be just eating them, cooking with them, incorporating them into various recipes, collecting hot sauces, that kind of thing. My other big love is paintball, which I think is possibly one of the single best outdoor persuits available - keeps you fit, highly sociable, teaches you to work with your environment for concealment etc and intills at least a little discipline on the safety side of things! Just to point out, of the two 'breeds' of paintball, I'm all about the camo-wearing, sneaking about the woods (on official paintball sites) style, rather than the high-speed Tournament paintball that tends to get more coverage! Think Stag-do paintball, but with people who are serious about what they do, stick to the rules and are there for the love of the game, rather than how much paint they can put into the unlucky Stag/birthday boy/girl or whatever. I think my paintball gear takes up only slightly more space than my camping/outdoors gear though! Anyway, enough about me, looking forward to my time here :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum :cool:

Your job sounds fun :D

There was (might still be) an ad hoc chilli growers group on British Blades, from the weird and wonderful to the sublime or blast the head off :D........chillis that is, not the members :)

cheers,
Toddy

Chillistarr

Apr 24, 2012
Edinburgh
Thanks for the welcomes folks :)
BareThrills - afraid not, unrelated object. I tried to post up about it earlier in the Giant Kill Rock thread, but being new my posts sat for mod approval. They are up now, hopefully with stuff of use/interest to people, so feel free to have another look. If folk are interested, I linked to Heavens-Above with a sky-map that shows where and when you can see tonight's near-miss (assuming you have clear skies, pretty dark area and a pair of binoculars). The link I put up is for Edinburgh, but you can configure the site easily to set your location. It's good for finding out when the International Space Station can be seen from your area, other satellites and also planets, comets, this asteroid tonight - worth checking out, http://www.heavens-above.com/.
Copper_head - scenario ball is what it's all about ;)
Toddy - thanks, and yes, it's a lot of fun! Had a greenhouse when I lived further west, but all my Edinburgh flats so far have been without south-facing windows or gradens I could modify - still working my way through stuff I grew 5+ years back mind you...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE