Hello from Berkshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

le_kel

Jun 12, 2021
Reading, Berkshire
Hi all,

I'm Alex, currently living in Berkshire, but originally from Romania, where I used to go wild camping and hiking in the Carpathians.
Have done a few hikes in both England and Wales and lots of camping, never wild yet. It looks like it's a bit "pour les connaisseurs", but this forum seems to have plenty of useful info.
After this last year, feeling the need to get back to nature, hence found and joined this forum to read tips and advice from like-minded people. Thank you for accepting me in the community. Hope I'll also be able to contribute and maybe meet some of you.

See you far from the cities

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Welcome to the forum!

If I would go for hiking in the Carpathians, could I communicate with the younger generation in English, French or German?

Do they all speak one of these languages even in the villages, because it's taught in school since minimum 30 years instead of Russian before?

A couple of years ago I discovered that I can translate simple Romanian textes without dictionary just with my little knowledge of the Italian and Latin language but if Romanian people talk to each other I don't really understand them, I just get an impression what they are talking about.

I know that the Carpathians are a fantastic hiking area and I assume that flying there to spend some time will become in the end cheaper than spending the holidays at home because I expect that the prices for food or whatever I need are still pretty low there.

le_kel

Jun 12, 2021
Reading, Berkshire
Thanks all for the warming welcome.

Erbswurst, see my answers below.
Welcome to the forum!

If I would go for hiking in the Carpathians, could I communicate with the younger generation in English, French or German?
Most of the youngsters will be able to speak English. German is more popular in Transilvania. French..not so much, even though it's the only Romance language.

Do they all speak one of these languages even in the villages, because it's taught in school since minimum 30 years instead of Russian before?
I think you'll struggle in the villages - few young people will still be living there and even fewer will be able to hold a conversation in any of the aforementioned languages. Might be wrong though.

A couple of years ago I discovered that I can translate simple Romanian textes without dictionary just with my little knowledge of the Italian and Latin language but if Romanian people talk to each other I don't really understand them, I just get an impression what they are talking about.
I think that applies to most languages. It reminds me of the first meetings at the first job I had, just after arriving in the UK. Struggled to keep up with the natives at times. Now if you don't speak the language at all, it will be far more difficult.

I know that the Carpathians are a fantastic hiking area and I assume that flying there to spend some time will become in the end cheaper than spending the holidays at home because I expect that the prices for food or whatever I need are still pretty low there.
Services are cheaper. Food in the supermarkets is more or less the same. Transport far cheaper. Even if you break even, you'll be left with a different experience.

Welcome. Lots of good areas to get out to for day walks in the south of the country from where you are.
Hi Nigel and thanks. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Thank you very much for the informations!

I am pretty surprised that French isn't popular, because most young adult Romanians that I met spoke it very well.
(Of course, as it's more or less the same with another pronounciation.)
But may be that they got selected for this reason and that's why I met them.
And in Germany we talk German of course. I don't ask people here in the streets what else they can speak...

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
You could start with the Ordnance Survey map for your local area and see what walks and things you can do. From Berkshire (depending where you live) you can travel within a relatively short distance to the Chilterns etc and other downs. The canals can be good places to have a walk to see plants and wildlife. Further afield you have the South Downs, New Forest and Hampshire downs.

le_kel

Jun 12, 2021
Reading, Berkshire
Thank you very much for the informations!
You're welcome!
You could start with the Ordnance Survey map for your local area and see what walks and things you can do. From Berkshire (depending where you live) you can travel within a relatively short distance to the Chilterns etc and other downs. The canals can be good places to have a walk to see plants and wildlife. Further afield you have the South Downs, New Forest and Hampshire downs.
Much appreciated Nigel!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE