Hello Bushcraft fans...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

somerset

...I'm new to the forum, my name is Gary, Gaz for short! Ever since I've been watching Ray Mears' programmes, I've been hooked with outdoor survival and bushcraft in general!

Just like to ask, have any of yous been on any bushcraft course with Ray Mears & Woodlore! If ye have, what's it like and did you get the chance to meet the man himself, Ray?!?!

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Hiya Gaz,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you find as much usefull info here as i have.

As far as Woodlore courses go, then no I've not been on one but I have met Ray at a couple of his Talks that he occasionaly does. He seems like a friendly genuine man that feels strongly about his bushcraft, much as a lot of folk here do.

There is a review of the Woodlore fundamental bushcraft course on the main site. I'll see if I can dig it out for you before someone else does. :lol:

Enjoy yourself here.

Cheers,

Martin

S

somerset

Cheers guys, I've already looked at www.raymears.com and I've already sent an email to Woodlore to ask them whether or not there'll be another "Just a walk in the woods" course in the near future cause next year's one is fully booked :aargh4: :wave: ! Ray is in charge of the course!

BTW, are any of yous going to see Ray Mear's lecture next year, I'm trying to go but the dates are clashed with my fishing trip to Scotland!?!?!

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi Gary, welcome and have fun! :biggthump im off for a walk in the woods with Ray in febuary, and im on a tracking course in july that ray is now taking, should be good.. :biggthump

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Gaz, nice to have you here Mate....

It's a great site and the people are real nice and friendly....

I've not had anything to do with Ray Mears apart from watching his tv shows like you but as Jak says plenty of the guys on here have been to his talks and been on his courses or even worked for him.... Off the top of my head iirc "Sandbender" has just been out to Africa with him.

S

somerset

Your a lucky bloke Paganwolf, lol! Only kidding mate, that is fantastic! The trouble for me is the cost of these woodlore courses, I'm a college student who works part time at Sainsburys and I try to save as much money as I can to do these things but its hard to meet that 3 or 5 figure cost!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Careful with the curses Gaz....we do have quite a few youngsters on here too!

Not wanting to take anything away from RM's courses....there are other schools that come in a little cheaper...check out the schools directory on the main site Mate.... :p

S

somerset

Oh sorry mate, I forgot about the youngsters, stupid me, lol! I'll take your advice on other schools!!

S

somerset

Have you ever tried cutting bamboo before, if so how tough is it? Its acturally grass isn't it, not a tree...unbelievable!

S

somerset

I had a look at the local bushcraft school's websites from the South West but its looks as though they haven't updateed about what courses are available...hmmm?!?!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
somerset said:
I maybe an adult by age but I don't feel it :wave:

I don't think men ever do...

As bambodoggy mentioned I have traveled on a Woodlore 'expedition' type course in Namibia and I have also attended the 'Fundamental' course.

I'm led to believe that even if Ray isn't actually leading a course, he does try to turn up for 'bit of a chat' type thing, presuming he's not off filming or whatever, he does appear to have a killer schedule.

However if he doesn't, the experience is no less entertaining and educational, the people I have met who run his courses really know what they are doing, not just in the sense of 'knowing a lot about bushcraft' but in the way they try to encourage each individual attendee to get as much as possible out of the experience.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I did his primitive technology course a few years back. The course was very good and I cannot find any fault in content, they had about 5 experts as well, (each over, one or two days), so I guess by the time you've taken the cost of paying everyone, and food etc, the large cost is justified (about £600 if I remember at the time). I guess the things you will get out of any course are: 1. a very good holiday, 2. meet people who are likeminded, and 3. you will learn quicker than by teaching yourself.

Saying that, noone has mentioned the self-taught option, I think teaching yourself also has advantages: self reliance, self-confidence etc. I'm sure there are people who started learning about bushcraft in earnest at the same time as me, but completed all the various courses on offer, (and therefore know more than me). Although they took a quick way around, I don't think I'd swap places with them because I have some wonderful experiences and memories of time well spent wandering over the UK countryside.

Happy New Year Everyone.

Greg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I fancied a woodlore course but it doesn't look like you'd get to do one with Ray anymore, except if you want to spend a couple of grand and go to Norway. I'll be looking at one of the other schools that are in my opinion better value and why pay over the odds to say you've been on a "Ray" course when the nearest you'll get to seeing the man himself will be in a glossy brochure :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE