Hedging mitts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've just started laying a neglected hawthorn hedge in our paddock.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced hedging mitts would be appreciated! I've tried the red leather and the fabric/leather ones but need a bit more protection.

Thanks

Rob

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I've just started laying a neglected hawthorn hedge in our paddock.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced hedging mitts would be appreciated! I've tried the red leather and the fabric/leather ones but need a bit more protection.

Thanks

Rob

these are recommended by a professional hedge layer, or if these are a bit pricey try leather welding gauntlets. but what price would you put on a sore hand? :)http://www.safetyhut.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=207

Last edited:

Jackdaw

The gloves recommended by Woodspirit are not a bad price. I've laid lots of hedges (not enough though) and eventually settled on a pair of welding gloves that I use as part of my badger handling kit (volunteer work for the local badger protection group). They are a bit big though and these look much better.

The biggest problem I have with hawthorn is that the puncture wounds I get always end up infected; usually within 24hrs. It's probably an allergic reaction but I have never really looked in to it in that much detail. Hence the rather large gloves.

Forgot to add (and please don't take offence by me say) that a blunt billhook is a dangerous billhook. I normally would spend at least an hour (in two half-hour sessions) working on the edge to keep it going.

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks for the info, I'll look them up. Fortunately the only injuries I've had so far have been scratches when handling branches, sudocrem has sorted them out.

I spend a fair bit of time sharpening but will do more!

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
'The biggest problem I have with hawthorn is that the puncture wounds I get always end up infected; usually within 24hrs. It's probably an allergic reaction but I have never really looked in to it in that much detail. Hence the rather large gloves'

Jackdaw, take a look at the link in post 6, and it's not just with Hawthorn or Blackthorn.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rose thorns, even if they just scratch, do it to me too :sigh:
It makes you wonder though; I eat roses, I wear their oil, I love the scent and have no problems with any of that, just the blasted thorns make a mess of my skin :dunno:

Same with folks and blackthorn or other wild plums. They're fine with the fruit, just the thorns are a misery.

M

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I’m not saying it’s a miracle cure or that it will work for everyone but I find homemade Yarrow Balm works wonders with thorns, splinters and small cuts, it stops the bleeding, eases the pain and certainly helps prevent infection.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Might give that one a try. I mostly use comfrey (if the scratch is clean) or the chickweed and lavender to clear out and soothe.
The juice from the houseleek is very good too.

Thank you for the advice :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE