Heck of a pictue of LA (Griffith) Park

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
HT_natgeo_cougar_2_jtm_131115_16x9_608.jpg

HT_natgeo_cougar_1_jtm_131115_16x9_608.jpg

Great photos of a cougar that has crossed two eight lane highways to live in Griffith Park Los Angeles

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/11/cougar-stars-in-la-role-living-near-hollywood-sign/

Red

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Fantastic that it's living where it is but I think now it's known the uproar of 'it's a dangerous animal and it needs to be removed' will be heard :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its been there a while and there has been some talk of the sort. I suspect the saddest thing is that there is no mate - so I guess it will simply die eventually unless another cougar makes it across the highways - and even then there isn't a large gene pool.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Apparently some are afraid it will eat yappy little dogs since it has a penchant for rabbits.

They say that like it would be a bad thing?:D

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Was listening to a program about that very animal on Radio 4 last night. Incredible beast.

As it took the photographer fully 14 months to stalk and get that picture, I think kitty has a chance. I just hope he finds a mate. In that regard, the talk of building a wildlife tunnel underneath the highway should help him out.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Let it just start with the yappy dogs and let it work its way up from there.
On the other hand... Maybe it should just stay away from that junkfood??

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Nice cats the top one looks very strong! Tiger-like. Quite a bit bigger then lynx which we have here in Sweden :).

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Its been there a while and there has been some talk of the sort. I suspect the saddest thing is that there is no mate - so I guess it will simply die eventually unless another cougar makes it across the highways - and even then there isn't a large gene pool.

Cougars are solitary animals except for during mating. They don't live in groups so it likely wouldn't tolerate a female in that limited a territory anyway. Nor does it need one to survive (only to reproduce) To my knowledge, there's no shortage of cougars in the southwest so what do you mean by "linited gene pool?" Or are you refering to the limited area of the park?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Apparently some are afraid it will eat yappy little dogs since it has a penchant for rabbits.

They say that like it would be a bad thing?:D

Cougar attacks are getting more and more common across the west; attacks on pets, livestock, working dogs, and joggers. Yesterday we had a bear attack on a woman here in Florida (only the second reported in Florida history)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cougars are solitary animals except for during mating. They don't live in groups so it likely wouldn't tolerate a female in that limited a territory anyway. Nor does it need one to survive (only to reproduce) To my knowledge, there's no shortage of cougars in the southwest so what do you mean by "linited gene pool?" Or are you refering to the limited area of the park?

I meant the given the physical isolation of the terrain that the individual would be unlikely to be able to breed and even if a female was introduced it wouldn't make a viable gene pool within the park

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I meant the given the physical isolation of the terrain that the individual would be unlikely to be able to breed and even if a female was introduced it wouldn't make a viable gene pool within the park

True enough under those parameters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE