Heatpal 5100

May 2, 2011
Glasgow
This might be a stupid question but trying to cut down on the different fuels i need to carry, but will the heatpal run on paraffin?

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
No, definitely not!

The HeatPal burns across a hole that is 3-4 inches. Paraffin will burn in it fine I'm sure, but the resulting soot and fumes would be atrocious, not to mention unsafe. There might be a risk of explosion or severe flare-up.

If I had a burner to spare it might be an interesting experiment, but I'm pretty sure the results would be catastrophic for the unit!

The instructions with it are quite clear - only alcohol.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
No, definitely not!

The HeatPal burns across a hole that is 3-4 inches. Paraffin will burn in it fine I'm sure, but the resulting soot and fumes would be atrocious, not to mention unsafe. There might be a risk of explosion or severe flare-up.

If I had a burner to spare it might be an interesting experiment, but I'm pretty sure the results would be catastrophic for the unit!

The instructions with it are quite clear - only alcohol.

Yes, definitely only alcohol.

On another safety note, on the several Websites that I've seen this stove I haven't seen much mention of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Good ventilation is literally vital if you use this kind of heater.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
151_productpicturelargen19p8u_3.jpg

Nordic Outdoor has them here.

Basically it's a heating system that works by burning meths. It can also be used as a stove. It doesn't chuck out a massive amount of heat, but in Winter it can make a big difference in a tipi.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I would like to know what one of these are and where to get one. I'm intrigued.

It's more or less just a can full of fireproof wadding which you fill with meths and set alight.

Google/Bing/Yahoo or any reasonable search engine will find them.

They've always been popular on boats, so a lot of chandlers do them.

The Optimus Trapper 81 is a smaller example.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Burning methanol doesn't produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. It should be used with good ventilation of course because it does use Oxgen which you need and produce CO2 which you are also producing, but it's about the safest thing you can burn in terms of toxicity.

Yes, definitely only alcohol.

On another safety note, on the several Websites that I've seen this stove I haven't seen much mention of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Good ventilation is literally vital if you use this kind of heater.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25L-Metha...Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item1e6d53001e

Even with courier delivery its only about £1.50 a litre.

Because of the extended burn time they make great cookers for a big pan of stew. Don't expect them to keep a big tent toastie warm but they will certainly keep the frost at bay.

This one is a clone of the Gloys stove
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Contoure-Hea...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item43afc1a956
About £100 including shipping from the states. Its not stainless steel but the one I have is about 50 years old and still going strong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE