Hear an ancient language being spoken! (Proto-Indo-European)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I can hear all sorts of stuff in there; Scandinavia, Germany and the Northern Isles, Scotland and the WestCoast of Ireland; not the words but the music of it reminds me of some of these...............

Or do I only imagine that?........................................atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Reminded me of the controversy surrounding whether the old nursery rhyme/picking song "eeny, meeny, miny, moe..." was of ancient counting origin or not. Good post thanks for popping it up.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Reminded me of the controversy surrounding whether the old nursery rhyme/picking song "eeny, meeny, miny, moe..." was of ancient counting origin or not. Good post thanks for popping it up.

I didn't know that there was any controversy, I thought that it was generally understood to be taken the 'weighed, measured and found wanting' graffiti that someones god scrawled on a wall with his finger? You learn something new everyday. :)

When I first heard the clip I was reminded of a really impressive rendition of Beowulf in old english that I'd seen on the youtubes, however with further listening there is really quite a bit more in there.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yan tan tethera etc was the ancient counting system used for counting sheep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_tan_tethera

Note how the Wiltshire system seems closer to the Scottish than to Welsh. This is odd if Wiltshire shepherds really did pick it up from Welsh Drovers which I have always doubted as local shepherds would take great care to avoid droves of sheep passing through. A possibility that this is evidence of such counting systems being much older?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There is no language which changes so often as Proto Indo European, as a Philogist once said.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE