Heads up!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Litterally! with all this extra weight theres already been some downed branches of considerable size, be on the look out for some great bits of wood but please only collect from area's that look safe! keep your eyes to the sky and watch for those loose/cracked branches.

no sense in letting all this wonderful fallen wood go to waste.
ta
pete

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
There are a few fallen trees and branches on some of the main roads and on the footpaths by me but have always been concerned of just pulling over and loading my boot full of wood.

I have no idea what the law says about fallen trees / branches and whether you can legally take them without permission.

I understand having asked the same question about trees blocking green lanes and byways open to all traffic that you have to seek permission first!

I know it sucks to try and get permission for stuff like this but better that than be merrily hacking away at a fallen tree to be distrubed by a tap on the shoulder from PC Plod.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Indeed - as far as I know, fallen wood belongs to the land owner. Some owners like fallen wood to rot where it falls because that provides food for a variety of insects, which in turn feed the birds and sustain other animals and wildlife.

On the other hand, I have passed a fallen Hornbeam and Oak on separate occasions, and the officials cutting it up were more than happy to let me take a few pieces for woodturning. As Muddy Boots said, it's better to ask than attract unwanted attention.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I get a large part of my firewood from limbs that fall by the roadside...I just pull the white van over, don my hard hat and yellow safety vest and saw and chop my way to groaning axles....no one has ever complained/queried what I am doing!
When the wife and I go for a walk round the lanes we nearly always come back with a couple of branches - as much as we can carry - and although folk think we are loony no one has stopped us yet!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I get a large part of my firewood from limbs that fall by the roadside...I just pull the white van over, don my hard hat and yellow safety vest and saw and chop my way to groaning axles....no one has ever complained/queried what I am doing!
When the wife and I go for a walk round the lanes we nearly always come back with a couple of branches - as much as we can carry - and although folk think we are loony no one has stopped us yet!

It can be surprising what a hard hat and a yellow vest can let you get away with :eek: I always wear the hat and high viz when collecting bow wood:theyareon

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
It can be surprising what a hard hat and a yellow vest can let you get away with :eek: I always wear the hat and high viz when collecting bow wood:theyareon

sadly your correct. Its a tactic used more and more by shop lifters, ive witnessed it happenign in Edinburgh (tons of workmen because of the tram system being put in) in the most polite and gentle way i asked the gentleman to return the goods from his pocket :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE