Heads up - Tools at Crickhowell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Tools For Self Reliance Cymru are having an open day this coming saturday, April 14th, from 10am to 2pm. This should be an opportunity to pick up a few good tools at bargain prices. I'm going, and thought other people in the South Wales and Borders area ought to know about it too.

I'm hoping maybe for another £25 adze :D

No affiliation, etc, although I do support the organisation by being a regular customer.

http://www.tfsrcymru.org.uk/archives/1297

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is a brilliant charity.

I really wish they weren't the far side of the beacons, but they do have local voluteers to collect old tools.
They sell some tools on line in the fair trade section.

Learning to restore sewing machines would be an ace skill.

I cant do next saturday, I really looking for a froe.

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
Nice one, I'll be there. There's no tool like an old tool! Will the BCUK members be wearing something distinctive so we can recognize each other?
Cheers
Nigel

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
about an hours drive for me....if i get my car back by the weekend! :goodluck: Cant believe I did'nt know about the place sooner, I'm always on the hunt for quality old tools! cheers matey!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nice one, I'll be there. There's no tool like an old tool! Will the BCUK members be wearing something distinctive so we can recognize each other?
Cheers
Nigel

I'll now be helping out at the stall, so should be there the whole time. Would be good to meet some BCUK members. I'll be wearing my Tilley hat with the BCUK badge on the front. Please introduce yourselves.

I'm just back from 2 hours of volunteering with them for the first time, putting handles on tools made in Tanzania, gardening trowels and that sort of thing. Good fun, and I will definitely be volunteering again. A great opportunity to pick up some skills and training for free.

Looking forward to the weekend now.

For those who get there early, there's another adze like this one there, priced £25. It probably won't be there long.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, it was a good day and an enjoyable event, even if the weather wasn't as good as hoped. I took some pics:

Taffy63 of this parish got there early to get the best of the goods :D
IMGP0711.jpgIMGP0721.jpg

The goodies on display, including some serious axage
IMGP0722.jpgIMGP0712.jpgIMGP0715.jpg

The event was entirely run by volunteers. The main men are in the first pic, although they might not thank me for the shot ;)
IMGP0713.jpgIMGP0714.jpgIMGP0716.jpg

Inside the workshop I spotted this interesting carving.
IMGP0717.jpg

There was a forge set up and a blacksmithing demonstration that was very popular.
IMGP0728.jpgIMGP0727.jpgIMGP0726.jpgIMGP0725.jpg

The charity also refurbishes sewing machines, and these two beauties were on display. My wife refused to look at the treadle machine, because she said if she saw it she would have to buy it and we don't have any room for it.
IMGP0723.jpgIMGP0724.jpg

I really enjoyed the day, especially as I got a scotch eyed auger for a pittance out of it. :cool:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Sadly I ended up on Tyneside....testing foundations....in the pouring rain.

I'm glad I earned a few bob extra, but couldn't face the drive back. The pics, however, make me regret my choice :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE